Reef Supplements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonsong

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,

Well I have a very important question for you I have a 90 gallon reef tank and im going to be growing everything! And I need to know the right supplements to add into the tank...I have had so many clashing opinions that I think I would come to you guys for your advice (a tried and proven method!). At one LFS the owner said to use Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine and at another LFS the owner suggested an Alkalnity buffer and a product called aragamilk (Calcium and Buffer liquid Aragonite). So the chemicals I have up to date are the AragaMILK (Calcium and Buffer liquid Aragonite) by Caribsea inc. Reef carbonate (Raises Carbonate Alkalinity), Reef complete (raises Calcium) abd Reef Calcium (maintains Calcium) all from seachem. And as a salt mixture im using Reef Crystals by marineland. So I dont know exactically where im going with this and I was wondering what chamicals I will need? Thanks a million!

P.S. I have a test kit for all of them and any chemical I have to buy I will get the appropriate test kit with it :D

Lemonsong said:
P.S. I have a test kit for all of them and any chemical I have to buy I will get the appropriate test kit with it :D

Good. :)

What you need to dose for will depend on what is actually being used by your tank. Obviously it will be your tests that will tell you what needs to be dosed.

For most aquariums, your mag/iodine and often even your calcium/alk levels can easily be maintained simply through water changes with a quality salt mix.

As with anything in SW take it slow. Don't add a bunch of new corals etc to your tank all at once. Add a couple and give your tank time to adjust and for you to adjust your maint. habits to the changes.

In general, those are the water parameters to watch though, SG, Temp, Ph, Ca, Alk, Mag, Iodine (usually don't have to worry about this), Phosphates. Obviously your big 3 as well, Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate but you want to keep those down, not up ;)

To simplify it just do reg water changes and monitor your CA, PH, and Alk. No additives or additional test kits needed. :D

Agreed...most reef suppliments are a huge waste of money. Wouldn't you rather spend your money on corals instead? With a regular water change schedule there should be very little need to dose anything, if at all. Begin a regular water change schedule and test for ALK, CA and Ph to see what your baselnes are. No need for all that other "crap".

agree with the others... The only thing I ever added is Bionic alk and cal... And food for the coral, phytoplankton. I use liquid life or DTs when LL is not around. Got to love these LFS selling the additives when you will probably never need it..

I'm surprised that after running the water through the ro/di process that is anything left in the water.

I believe you all but its hard for us to not supplement. THough I have to say that my fish closet is thinning out on supplements. Bionic, DT's, iodine and strontium is all thats left.

All the heavy hitters of AA have chimed in on this one so I tend to believe you.

I'm surprised that after running the water through the ro/di process that is anything left in the water.
Correct, but when you add the salt mix you add the good stuff back :wink:

What salt are you using again for the record?

Brenden, Is your better half taking you to sensitivity training?

This is why I like this site come home from work and have 8 replys...you guys rock :D

But yeah the LFS manager who sold me the aragaMILK and the Alkiline buffer said you dont need any of it. But he said this is just to make sure that everything stays good as far as calcium and alkalinity and trace elements.

But im using Reef Crystals by marineland. And doing a 25% water changed once a week. and I tested my water and everything looks good. :D

Also im wondering what will grow good coraline algea...if anyone has any suggestions that would be awsome...I have really no idea so if anyone has some good coraline growing secrets please share :D

Take the unused supplements back to the lfs. See if they carry Purple-Up. People here are having good results with that for coralline. PWC is all I need. I'm scraping the front and side glass every day.

I dose Kalkwasser pretty regularly, in addition to frequent PWCs. I find this helps the growth of coralline vs less attractive algae and cyano. Do others use Kalk?

i use a buffer called combo vital with black powder supposely its a water buffer for any filter feeder. i just started using it so i don't really know yet how good it works. all i can tell is that it makes sponges grow well so far and all my corals are doing fine

keeping you alk and cal balanced and the levels up where they should be will help coraline grow. how old is the tank and what lighting do you have.. How much rock and does it have any coraline on it at all?
If it does they say that if you rub it with something sharp or a course brush to get the spores into the water will help it spread.

post your levels...

Back
Top Bottom