reef tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sHistA

Aquarium Advice Regular
i currently have 15 # of LR, 40# of sand , a emperior filter a seaclone protein skimmer, a 15 W flourecent 50/50 light in a 44 gal tank (nitrogen cycle is done). i want to start a reef tank i wanted to get 2 maxijet 1200 powerheads, and a Current USA Satellite Power Compact Fixture(65)w, get 25 pounds of base rock and 5 more pounds of LR . i was thing of getting egg crate as my hood and cut out the right size with a knife. would that all be good for a reef tank?? all together it would be 80 w of light.

You can do some softies or shrooms with your lighting. I would wait and get all the LR/baserock you need before adding any specimens to the tank first though.

What size is the tank?

Mike

Shrooms need moderate light, and they look better under pc's. I don't think you will get the results from using NO lighting.

Mike

so u dont think 80 watts of pc light is enough for shrroms?? is 80 watts of light classified for medium lighting??

so u dont think 80 watts of pc light is enough for shrroms?? is 80 watts of light classified for medium lighting??
Yes, 80 watts of pc lighting will give you good results with the shrooms. The NO lights I was refering to was the 15 watt light that wouldn't have good results. HTH

Mike

You could even go with the MJ900's since you have a 44g. Basically, you are looking for a flow of: 44 X 10 = 440gph

The 1200's might blow your sand around a bit. These are rated at 295gph each. It's up to you..having good flow is important.

The eggcrate is a great idea. Many people here use them. I just leave my top open on both sides.

Mike

can i buy eggcrate from HD? and if i put the eggcrate and the lights on top wouldent that evaporate alot of water?? i was thinking of puting a little piece of glass under every light is that a good idea??

The light kit you are getting..is it shielded already? The eggcrate from HD would be better for gas/oxygen exchange. If the unit you are getting is shielded, then you don't need to worry about it. Evaporation is a good thing for the most part.

Mike

The eggcrate from HD would be better for gas/oxygen exchange

wat??? does this mean the eggcrate is not good??

and idk if my light kit is shielded if its not can i just put a piece of glass under it so nothing goes wrong??

wat??? does this mean the eggcrate is not good??
No. The eggcrate is be better IMO. It allows for better gas/oxygen exchange, which is a good thing.

If your light kit does not have a shield on it, then you will want to put something under it so it doesn't get wet.

Mike

Sorry, IMO 80 watts of lighting over a 44gal tank is pretty low lighting. You will not be able to support a lot of corals with that light. Upping the lighting to 2x65 watt would be a bit better. You would be able to keep a wider variety of corals. Depth of the tank also makes a big difference. What are the dimensions? Also, with lighting on the low side, consider skipping the egg-create and going topless. You will get better light penetration.

You can still keep shrooms under this lighting. As always, I'm sure the list will increase, and so will the lighting. It wouldn't hurt to go with a good 65wx2 pc in case you get the urge to add more later.

Mike

i am really only looking for an anemony tank mabe a few other low light corals that would do good with an anemonie. can mushrooms do good with an anemonie??? and i have a pendagon tank and is pritty high.

If you are wanting an Anemone, then the lighting changes as does the age of the aquarium. Aneomone's should not be purchased until your tank is at least 6 months old. Lighting, depending on what type of Anemone you have, will require mostly MH, or many 96w pc. I would stick to some easier ones to begin with. Anemone's are great to have, but the requirements are a lot more involved.

Mike

Honestly, Anemone's will require more than 80w of light. I don't know of any off hand that would fare well under the light you are looking for. I have a Condy, and he has been thriving under my MH for the past year. Someone else may have experience with an Anemone under lower lighting.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom