Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-16-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Send a message via AIM to 1337 Send a message via Yahoo to 1337
Reef Tank Crash. Please Help! =(

A friend of mine has a 6 gallon Nano Cube, and she recently had a huge nitrite spike which has killed everything but her crabs and corals. While the corals are still alive, they're not looking too hot, and I was wondering if it would be okay to acclimate them to my tank. It's only been established for two months, and one of my lightbulbs is broken, so it's only got 138 watts on a 37 gallon, but I was wondering if it would be okay to put them in for a day or two. One of the corals is an open brain, and the other two, I'm not 100% sure as I haven't had a chance to ask her. She needs time to do a water change and get the nitrites back in order. Would the corals have a better chance of making it if I were to put them in my tank, or should she leave them in hers? Thanks for any advice.

1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:35 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Might have to acclimate slowly tp account for differences in water chemistry between the two tanks, but I think in my opinion it would do better in your tank. Then again, maybe someone could tell you the nitrites wouldn't take that long to get right. But then again, a week or two could be bad for the remaining corals

How did the nitrite spike?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You could also ask the LFS for help in keeping the corals in the meantime. My local LFS will do that as a courtesy. Nano cubes are nice, but your friend has seen the downside, in that water parameters can change very easily. I hope everything works out.
AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I would say it depends on the current no2 level and what ph/sg/alk level you keep your tank at and how much of a difference it is from your friends tank.

If the ph/sg/alk level is pretty close between the tanks and the no2 level is fairly high then they probably would fair better in your tank till the nano gets to the correct levels.

If the no2 level is at or less then 1 ppm the tank should convert that within a day or two assuming the bacterial base didn’t get damaged (if meds were used) so it’s kind of pointless since a couple of pwc can drop that considerably and moving the coral could be more stressful IMO.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef tank, tan, tank crash

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com