Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2006, 01:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to fishrfreinds
That happened to me. My younger brother tried to "feed the fish" and dump a full can of fish food. ERRGH! It screwed up my tank so bad! Killed every thing! Of course his response is a half Hearted sorry. The fish suffered a horrible death. And it caused a HUGE ammonia spike of course. But when i started over i found this site, and this site has help me.

So i know how you feel and I'm so sorry that that happened. I hope you don't give up and that you will continue with this great hobby.

I dont want to be a Advice Freak!
fishrfreinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:30 PM   #12
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, spent most of yesterday doing another 20 gallon pwc. Ammonia was off the charts (well over 8 ppm) but all other leverls were normal. I essentially have a huge new cycle starting. I tried using Kent Marine ammonia detox at very high dosage and threw on an old canister with a bag of Phoz Sorb (I think). There's so much decaying flesh from snails and worms and whatnot I doubt anything can be salvaged short of "borrowing" 30 gallons or so of aged saltwater from a friend and scrubbing all the rocks and rinsing the livesand.

The good news is I did manage to get the surving corals out and got them into quarantine at our generous LFS. I may end up just donating them to reef club buddies and when the time comes for me they can reciprocate with new frags from their tanks. I'll know more in a few days.

Yeah it sucks but there's always a sadder story out there. I have a buddy who keeps his helicopter on a pad at his lake cabin. A sudden huge windstorm blew in and dumped his chopper into the lake. Insurance covered it but his deductible was $10,000. Ugh.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

At this point I would give up on PWC. Mix up some new SW and rinse all of the substrate and LR in it. Completely empty the tank and...start over. You will likely spend more time and money attempting to "correct" the foul tank conditions then if you started from scratch with a new cycle. Good luck...I feel for ya.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #14
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

The results are in, TOTAL LOSS. Im going to drain tank and set the rocks and sand out in the sunshine for a week or two and start over.

I have sold the surviving critters, 20 lbs of liverock, gorgeous red shrooms, gigantic Xenia colony, hermit crab, encrusting amphillia and a very nice candy cane coral for $50.

Maybe now I can afford to get the kids some much needed gloves and socks for Christmas. Boo hoo hoo hoo.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Drain, then refill - provide a little NH3, then you don't have to cycle... you can restart w/o killing the bacteria (insert horse riding analogy here).
squawkbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I'm sorry, Tex. Best of luck with the tank and everything else. That really does suck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex

Maybe now I can afford to get the kids some much needed gloves and socks for Christmas. Boo hoo hoo hoo.
Maybe they can wear the socks as gloves

Sorry for your loss
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

That sucks time to take the cat to the SPCA. All joking aside I hope something is salvageable and you can get a good start going again.

Tags
reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com