Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Reef tank ruined

Hi guys, I haven't posted in a while.

4 days ago our new little kitty cat jumped up on the canopy and knocked a full can of flake food into my 100 gal reef. No one was home and it didn't get noticed for hours. By that night ALL the fish were dead. It appears that virtually everything from snails to bristle worms to liverock is dying. The water was orange, cloudy and putrid smelling. The only thing I knew to was a massive 80 gallon water change over the course of 2 days.

The tank has been set for 11 months now and was really starting to look beautiful. I have lost $1000's in livestock.

7 month old 100 gallon. Hopefully on my way to a great reef tank. A few small fish and a few small soft corals. T5 HO Lights and ro/di unit.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:29 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
sorry for your losses

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Dont give up hope .... There is a possibility that with massive water changes and hard agressive skimming that some of the corals will recover.... I know the feeling with the kitty and now keep the food in a drawer .... dont blame yourself as this could have happened to anyone ... give yourself time and you will get it back...I know that the fish loss hurts but ... tehy can be somewhat replaced ...
Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Well...I'm very sorry for your loss.

If it makes you feel any better, it could have been much worse.
My buddy had a 200 gallon tank with auto top off 120 gallon sump.
Power went out, and when he got home, his entire dining room was flooded, through his new wood floor, down into his server room where the water damaged also caused about $20k dollars in computer damages.

His whole house was ruined. Needed a crew of 4 sucking water out of everywhere for about 2 days round the clock. Then, figure the loss of livestock on top of all that. He hasn't been the same since, and gave up on the hobby.

Chin up bro. Don't go down without swinging.
quixand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Oh, Kitty....bad kitty.....

We have 13 cats and disaster is always right around the corner. Oh, the canopies I've fished out of tanks, the cats I've pulled out of the water, the refilling tubes batted out of the tank, the mopping, etc.

It was a freak thing-you must soldier on! Hopefully you can save some of the corals, give it some time to stabilize, and slowly rebuild. I'm so sorry for your losses, and give that kitty a talking-to for us.

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
That is terrible! Hopefully, you will be able to salvage the substrate and LR and start over. I am very sorry.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:49 PM   #7

Sorry for the loss but do what you can. Corals can come back, you would be surprised.

BTW, that is a terrible story with the flood but just so people do not get scared away a RR tank plumbed correctly into a sump should not have this issue.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WOW!! Sorry to hear about that.
Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
wow... all the fish died in a few hours, thats a real bummer. my old cat once jumped into my 20 FW tank when i was doing a pwc, scratched up a few fish, but that really sucks about the food (how big was it)

im just took my 7oz bottle of food off my tank...
"Atrocities are not less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are called medical research."
George Bernard Shaw
hc8719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:53 PM   #10
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully you`ll be able to salvage some things from your tank.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com