Reef Temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm curious to know how many degrees the temperature rises in everybodies tank a few hours after the lights have been on. I just got my new lights and installed them last night and my temp jumped by .7 of a degree in the first couple hours, when I turned them on today. I have one fan in my canopy for my retrofit system, maybe I need another.
Thanks.

I run a RK2 on our system so we have a small 1* swing with the lights on/off cycle ... The RK2 will allow you to have your heater , lights and fans turn off and on...I set my danger to 78* so if my tank ever hits that the fans stay on the heater kicks off and the lights kick off ..I got it after a heater malfunction and stayed on the temp rose to 105* in the tank the only loss suffered was a frogspawn coral Since I placed that into service I Have had no worries on temp swing .
My daily swing is 1* :)

Generally you want to keep the daily temp swing between lights on and lights off at 2 degrees or less. The best way to test this is to check the temp right before the lights come on, and shortly before or right after lights out and compare the difference. HTH

I agree, a 2 degree temp swing is about the best you want.

Sadielynn- How weird, my heater did the same thing tonight to me after I read your post earlier this morning. After my lights went out I noticed that my temperature kept rising. I let it get all the way to 79.3 before I realized something is obviously not working right since my house temp is only 70.0 I just put a new digital thermometer in there so I thought that maybe it wasn't a good one. Keeping your previous post in mind I looked at my heater and the light was not on, but when I stuck my hand in the aquarium to feel it, it was HOT. The brand I have is Aqueon its only about 5monts old. I will make sure not to buy that brand anymore. Until I get a new one tomorrow after work, I guess I will just have to turn up the heater in my house until then. Oh well.

Please unplug it and call them it is made by all glass (before they merged with 4 or 5 companies ) they should replace it for you with out any issues at all ...14144238544 run by central aquatics ask to speak with a supervisor in the customer service dept ... They should send you a new one ... I am sorry it stayed on but you atleast caught it early .... just bring your temp back to what it should be slowly ...as to not shock any thing with temp swings :)

I just had the same thing with an all-glass 100W in my FW tank...Lost a Blue Zebra Lobster, African Butterfly, and the rest of my Tiger Barbs. Tank went to 103 F.

Ouch, I use Fennex heaters, and haven't had any problems with them, even when the water drained below them...

roka64 said:
Ouch, I use Fennex heaters, and haven't had any problems with them, even when the water drained below them...
My heater was also a finnex heater that malfunction . After all they are electronics and they do fail . This is why it is good to have a back up controller unit ... The real issue that I have had with the finexx heaters are the controllers like to seperate , they are aware of this but have no intentions to fix this . So I just epoxy them straight out of the box let dry before placing into service . IF the seperate this can cause a problem with the mechinisums that control the thermostat. The only other thing that I hate about them is the cords are very short .Other than that I have only hade one fail at this time KNOCK ON WOOD :D

I just called that number Sadie posted. They are sending me a new one. I tried to get them to compensate me for the livestock loss. LOL, nice try!

I do agree with Sadie on the actual controllers, but I have never used them. I have read bad reviewes about the controllers but the heaters have performed to my expectations.

That's good they will replace your heater marc!

I dont use a canopy and mine stays at 78 degrees all the time. I just use a reflective dome over the lights.

We just use a light fixture no hood either . However that does not protect against heater malfunction ... an addtional controller such as a heater controller or reefkeeper , or aquatroller helps back you up should your heater stay on and prevents over heating in your tank....

I'll probably post a new topic about this, but how do know for sure what temp your tank is at?
Do you rely on the heater thermostat or digital display?
I found that the digital display of my new titanium heater is about 3-4 degrees off from a cheap plastic thermometer. So I ordered an expensive ($20) German made lab grade thermometer. It agrees with the $1.49 plastic thermometer. So I need to set my digital heater 4 degrees lower to maintain an even temperature. Otherwise my tank would be in the mid 80's.

I rely on both my digital thermometer by coralife and my RK and set my temp on my heater to conincide with that . So in truth I run 2 thermometers on my tank

cmor1701d said:
but how do know for sure what temp your tank is at?
I always rely on a good ol' glass thermometer I float in my sump. Heaters, IME, are always off by at least 1-2 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom