Reef traces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1fish-2fish-redfish-blue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have got so far with my soft/SOS corals and I'm starting to doubt my husbandry routines. I use fresh seawater for my tank and have had no problems, but now I find my calcium and magnesium gets eaten up like cake with a fat kid. Any advice for longer lasting levels? Thanks :)

Fresh seawater, as in from the ocean? Is it collected from miles out, and run through UV while in blackout for a week?

If somthing is using calcium, then you have to add the calcium back in. With 2 part, kalkwasser, and/or a calcium reactor.

Yes straight from the ocean.
I know about kalkwasser, but should I be adding this everyday? Or should I b testing every day then adding it?

what corals do you have in the tank right now? what test kits are you using? kalkwasser is to maintain levels, not raise them. if you need to add, you will need to use a 2 part additive. you will need to add calcium, alk, and possibly mag. bulk reef supply sells everything pretty cheap.

Atm I use a calcium powder which has all the traces in it as well. My levels are between 320-340 but as soon as I put powder in then the next day it is back down to 320-340. I use liquid calcium, magnesium, strontium etc also. Should I be using either everyday to keep levels the same?

you can't raise calcium by simply adding calcium. there is a chemistry behind it.-
Chemistry And The Aquarium: Solving Calcium And Alkalinity Problems — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine
you might try using a salt mix with a higher calcium level, like oceanic. as stated it has a very high calcium level, but subsequently low alk. i would use this, and another reef grade salt mix and alternate every water change. you'll probably never have to add anything else again. unless you have 12" clams in the tank.

Great article and spot on in this case. Water changes would help, first of all.

Back
Top Bottom