Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

I understand what he is saying. 1st week 10% water change 2nd week your taking out some of the new water you just put in and so on. So is it better to do monthly water changes? I been doing weekly water changes as well.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nothing at all wrong with weekly water changes.. I have been doing them for the last 3+ years this way....and will periodically do a 20% change.. Stick with what's working for ya.
Know your tank and your tank personality...
Per Mark Calahan... Lol

Old 12-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKemp712 View Post
Dosing iodine? What levels? I just started a coral tank and was contemplating calcium and magnesium to start.
Get test kits and make sure you actually need these things before adding them. I have seen more tanks go south than I care to remember dosing things blindly.

I don't understand why people think iodine is used more than anything else, meanwhile it's not even a major contender in sea water. Why aren't people tossing in potassium? I'm betting that's used as well.
Here's a link to the breakdown of sea water-
What is Seawater? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Remember, adding things that aren't getting used up on a regular basis will cause an abundance of this element, and most likely will end up causing a problem.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudzie View Post
Nothing at all wrong with weekly water changes
Right. What was confusing to me is Terrance said that 10% weekly water change was equal to 10% monthly. Every site, blog and forum I looked at before and after getting into the hobby preached smaller but frequent water changes. So I thought "well if 10% monthly is the same as 10% weekly why am I wasting time and money on weekly changes".
That's why I really wanted see some ideas on that point. Otherwise, trace elements can be added using one of those dosing bottles that are probably more cost effective and time efficient than performing weekly water changes. It would take a lot of authoritative articles and opinions to persuade me to skip weekly water changes.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Many variation of water change schedule has worked for many people. Whether weekly, every 2 weeks, or even monthly, it all depends on the overall system.

I was just saying from a mathmatical standpoint about one 40% water change is very different from 10% weekly water change in a months time. The once 40% monthly is better for fowlr and 10% weekly changes are better for reef tanks.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You have an awesome tank!
Old 12-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol this is amusing. We are picking the fly poop out of the pepper. Maybe it's better stated in gallons. Or is 10 gallons a week water change not equal to 40 gallons a month cuz every week you remove part of what you put in last week. 10% a week still equals 40% a month period. Whether it's old water or water from two days ago, it had still been added, pooped in, filtered, etc & then removed. My 2 cents.

Nice tank btw!
Old 12-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Let's do this yellow and blue make green. Let's start with 100 gallons of yellow take out 10% and replace with blue . Do this 4 times to equal 40%. Then you have 100 gallons of yellow do one water change of 40% and replace it with blue. Are you gonna have the same color green?
Old 12-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well if we are going to go that route to calculate things lets not forget to include 5-8% weekly top off water into equation. Lol. Bottom line is weekly water changes work for me as well.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes works for me too. I don't know any different. Been doing weekly water changes since day 1. But was thinking about every 2 weeks Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387732715.000102.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	213105

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com