Reefs best freind ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the full range of Hanna testers and access to some very sensitive test equipment. You can go two ways, not worry about it and just do big water exchanges. That will cover you unless you have hard corals growing out of the tank.

The other way is to test and then dose. I don't do massive water exchanges, so I measure iodine ( never had to dose it), calcium, alkalinity and magnesium (I dose all three with a medical doser). This works fine for me and saves a lot of salt mix, but I also do massive filtration. So in the end, water exchanges are easier.

I test for NH3/NH4, NO2, NO3, PO4, KH, Mg, Ca, Temp

All are at almost zero except, Ca350, KH10, mg1400. NO3 are almost undetectables with API under range of 5ppm... So I say PO4 and NO3 are 0 without knowing the real low value :(.

Anyway first experience with corals, I'll buy 2 this week :D A zoa and a frogspawn.

You can certainly keep a thriving reef tank with weekly water changes.

I personally couldn't and wouldn't do it any other way. May be it's the way I've been conditioned since having nano tanks before but even today with a larger tank I still don't skip weekly water changes.

Back
Top Bottom