Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Replacing trace elements is another reason for the water change, correct? If you are doing larger monthly changes you are going to have larger parameter fluctuations than with weekly, smaller changes. Things like alkalinity will be going up and down and that is not a good environment for corals.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Even simpler, take a 5 gallon bucket filled with red ping pong balls. Do 10% changes daily and replace the with white ping pong balls. The next change when you remove 10%, you will likely remove a couple white ones along with the red ones you are trying to get out. If you did this for five days (daily changes add up to 50%), you would not be removing as many red balls as you would if you did one 50% change at once because the white ones would be removed too instead of all red with one water change.

As others have stated, a healthy tank comes in many forms. If it's working for you, great! Keep up the good work. If not, there are other ways to go about it. Keeping an open mind with owning saltwater aquarium allow us all to learn and keep healthy, happy marine life. Which is all of our goal.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You guys are differentiating too much. Why would water that's been in a tank for a week still be considered "new" water? If multiple water changes were being performed in succession to drastically change parameters then I agree about the course this argument is taking.

However with weekly water changes just to maintain levels in trace elements it just doesn't work this way imho.

The things being debated about in this case need to be defined better or this debate is just going to keep going around in circles.

Ps. This discussion is hilarious
Old 12-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok a 5 gallon bucket of peas take out 5 cups replace with corn. Lmao I'm just playing. Hahahaha
Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
However with weekly water changes just to maintain levels in trace elements it just doesn't work this way imho.
What do you mean? You can certainly keep a thriving reef tank with weekly water changes. I've been doing it for many years.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
What do you mean? You can certainly keep a thriving reef tank with weekly water changes. I've been doing it for many years.
I was talking about the differentiation of "new" and "old" tank water. If water is in a tank for a week after a water change then it can hardly be considered as new tank water. That's the main thing that people are debating about in this thread.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yo, I didn't read all the posts, but I understand the math of doing 4x10%WC will drop nitrates lot fewer than one single 40% change.

So, are you saying it's better to do less bigger water changes than more smaller water changes ? If it is, then I'll do 1WC/month if I can 0.o

I have small 20g setup
Old 12-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

A big water change will have a more drastic effect of dropping nitrates but stability is key. just do the small ones unless your nitrates start to creep up too high. Then add a larger one to drop them down again.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I'm doing 25%WC each two weeks. Is it ok ? I make sure the water is same salinity, KH and temperature. I heat it with the 20g heater before I put it in.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:00 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
Yo, I didn't read all the posts, but I understand the math of doing 4x10%WC will drop nitrates lot fewer than one single 40% change.

So, are you saying it's better to do less bigger water changes than more smaller water changes ? If it is, then I'll do 1WC/month if I can 0.o

I have small 20g setup
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. For removing nitrates then a larger water change is better. I wouldn't suggest lass than a bi weekly water change however, especially if you have corals.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com