Refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well i finally got a Refractometer three days ago .It was well worth the money i was useing the deep six meter. When i was useing that . I was setting salt level at 1.024 with the deep six. The first two times i tested it with the refractometer it tested out at 1.030. The deep six must have been off. Know im slowly bringing the gravity down. Ive already started to notice some changes in my corals mushrooms etc. They are starting to open up more.

Dewey

I finally found a lfs with a good quality refractometer and had my water tested. It confirmed the exact same reading that my five dollar hydrometer gives. Had it not, I presume I could have noted the difference and used the hydrometer by applying the difference to the readings. Is that correct?

How much does the salinity reading change with temperature? If the water temperature changed a couple of degrees on the way to the store, how much error could that induce?

Had it not, I presume I could have noted the difference and used the hydrometer by applying the difference to the readings.

Yep, you could have had them test a sample at 35ppt or 1.025 @ 80* and then tested the same with your hydrometer and marked the spot on the hydrometer.

If the refractometer was an ATC, it would not have any impact (or very little) on the readings for the refractometer, to get a good idea if your hydrometer was off, and how much, you would have needed to take it with you and test the same sample at the same temp.

here is a cool link or two

http://www.wymag.org.uk/simon/salinityhr.htm

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2002/chemistry.htm

Should the deep six hydrometer be cleaned? To remove salt build up. Mine was off alot i thought.

Thanks Dewey

ya my hydrometeor was reading 1.023 and when i got my refractometer it was reading 1.024. but i love the ting no more air bubble trying to mess up the reading and it is so fast to check it .

cmor what kind of refractometer did you buy? And where did you get it at? Just wondering ive looked at alot of them and the prices really vary.

Thanks Dewey

I got the RHS-10ATC from Justin at DIYReef.

Great site and Justin answered all my questions promptly. I highly recommend him. I also see that the unit is down t $43.00

Back
Top Bottom