Refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found a couple refractometers online. My question is this:

Some say they are for "aquariums" and measure in PPT (parts per thousand) and also SG (specific gravity)

I have also seen some that measure solution rages of 0-32%

Is there a difference? Or should I purchase one that say for "aquariums"?
I would think that they would all be the same. Some input would be helpful here if anyone can help.

TIA

Mike

It's handiest to have an RTC (temp compensating) salinity refractometer that lists ppt plus SG, one on wither side of the scale as you look through it, so usually those are listed as being for aquariums. I got mine on ebay and I really like it.

Otherwise it will not matter. You could have a laboratory-type refract or an aquarium type or whatever and as long as it is accurate, there should be absolutely no difference because all you are doing is measuring salinity. :)

Otherwise it will not matter. You could have a laboratory-type refract or an aquarium type or whatever and as long as it is accurate, there should be absolutely no difference because all you are doing is measuring salinity.
Refractometers are designed with a specific range and units. They are made for measuring a wide range of chemical concentrations. You need to get a refractometer made specifically for measuring salinity in the range you need. That's why they say "for aquariums".
They're the best way to measure salinity IMO.

OK, I seen them that measure in PPT (parts per thousand) and SG (Specific Gravity)....Then that what I will get. Entech makes a very good one for salinity, costs a little bit more than the ones I seen but I know it is good.

Thanks for the reply.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom