refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got the most inexpensive one from drsfostersmith.com. I'm very happy w/ it. They had it for as low as $38.00 on sale when I was looking.

I got a nice one I think it is one they are selling on liveaquaria from ebay for $40. I love them, and My salinity was low. Like 4-5 points off from my hydrometer. I would recommend buying one.

Basically water causes light to bend, Salt has an effect on how much it bends. All a refractometer does is measure salinity by how much the light it bent.

They are better than hydrometers because bubbles can cause bad readings on hydrometers.

jasno999 said:
How eaxactky do they work and why are they more bennificial than a regular hydrometer

Simply put, the light passes thru the water sample, and then a prism. distilled water will refract back at 0. Any salt or heavy mineral content will raise the final value because the added salt will refract the light before it hits the prism.

its better because:
1. its faster
2. it isn't skewed by air bubbles
3. it isn't skewed by temperature

hydrometers measure specific gravity. temperature affects this, and not all hydrometers are calibrated to the same temp, especially the more accurate bulb type. I've never gotten consistent readings with a swing arm hydrometer either.

localhost said:
They are better than hydrometers because bubbles can cause bad readings on hydrometers.
That's not the only reason. Especially for swing-arm hydrometers, if they're not cleaned the reading can be way off, and can't usually be calibrated. Refractometers can be easily calibrated and are very accurate.

-j

its better because:
1. its faster
2. it isn't skewed by air bubbles
3. it isn't skewed by temperature
Those along w/ not having to break out a level to be sure the surface you set the hydrometer on isn't skewing the reading by being uneven. Refractometers are just plain better all around-easier to use, more consistently accurate etc.
Although the Aquarium Systems hydrometers I used were only off by .001- as they advertise surprisingly- compared to the refractometer, when placed on a perfectly level surface.

i also got the one from drfostersmith.com and i love it. the hydrometer i was using was off by 5. its a great piece of equipment.

Back
Top Bottom