refractometer accuracy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwrmma

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i just got my refractometer on friday and i tested my water with both the swing arm type and the new calibrated refractometer and they read 1.023 and 1.028. so now i am assuming i should go off the refracto and slowly start lowering my SG? i cant believe there would be that big of a difference.

I went through the same thing when I first started with sw. I was using the swing arm, which showed a reading of 1.024. When a friend of mine used his refractometer, it showed a reading of 1.029. I don't trust the plastic swing arms. I also found out later on that micro bubbles will influence the reading on a swing arm. These typically form when you add water to a dry unit.

Yes they will show about .05 difference. Mine did the same. Trust the refractometer. Make sure you calibrate it with some RO/DI water.

thats the first thing i did even though they said it was calibrated when it left the factory. i never trust that saying.

Mine was exactly .005 off. my hydro read 1.022 and the refracto read 1.028. I calibrated mine with distilled water. If you are going to lower the salinity, you can lower it quicker than bringing it up. Fish have a harder time adjusting to a higher salinity than adjusting to a lower salinity.

I keep mine at 1.025 but I know folks on here keep theirs at 1.026 or 07 and it's not a problem at all--whichever you prefer.

It's more important to keep it consistent than to keep it at a specific number. If your critters are happy then a stable 1.027 is fine and better than a fluctuating 1.025.

I agree, stability is best. I keep my 55G FOWLR at 1.020 and my 125G (planning a few corals) at 1.025.

Back
Top Bottom