Refractometer advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefaddict

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im looking at Ocean Tech and Captive Purity refractometers, Are these good brands?

What should I be looking for in a refractometer? What are some good brands?

I've seen some differences like; some come with calibration screwdrivers and some have calibration dials, what is better? Some have lights and others don't etc.

I'd really like to get a good one, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I bought mine off of ebay for 49.95. I can't complain about it, it's not lit, but that's unnecessary as 99% of us have over 100 watts burning away in the tank hood anyways. You just aim it at a light source and then look through the lens. Mine has a calibration screw, which I haven't had to use since it came calibrated. I checked it with RO/DI water just in case and it showed up 1.000.

I have a floating hygrometer and it's a POS. I believe it was off by about .003.

Good luck

Jim

I got mine from Premium Aquatics.. It works extremely nice and very accurate..

I've seen some differences like; some come with calibration screwdrivers and some have calibration dials, what is better
I would say the screw as its harder to get bumped loose
Some have lights and others don't etc
All depends on if you dont mind using outside light sources.. I guess having a light would be nice but I saved a few $$$ and went without..

I'd really like to get a good one, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Check on ebay.. Premium Aquatics Lists their Refractometer on there starting at like 39.00.. I picked mine up for 39.00 plus shipping from them.. I would also check their website.. It is a NICE refractometer and they honor the warranty extremely well...

HTH<
James

Back
Top Bottom