Refractometer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just got a refractometer, but it didn't come with any manual :!: :?: Does anyone know if theres an online manual, or can anyone help me to use it? TIA

First calibrate it. You can do this by adding distilled or RO/DI water and making sure it reads 0ppt or 1.000 sg for distilled water.

To use (and calibrate), put a couple of drops of the sample water on the prism, close the lid so the prism is covered with a thin layer of water with no air bubbles (I usually use three drops spaced across the prism). hold the prism up to a light source and look through the eye piece and read. Make sure to set the diopter so the reading is sharp and easy to read ;)

So where the blue ends is where its set? Its really hard to see the blue is soooo light. Or do I need to focus it better?

It probably needs to be focused better or hold it up to a stronger light, mine is very easy to see. And yes where the blue stops is your reading.

Are you saying point it at the light? I hate to sound stupid but wont the water run off the prism? Thanks for you patience and help

No. Once you put the "flap" down on the sample it won't spill out. You really don't need to look at it very long anyway. Once you get it focused it will be ready for the next time. But the sample won't spill off.

Mike

what I’ve found works best for mine (mine is from Milwaukee instruments), is actually standing UNDER a light. I put my sample on and close the lid, then walk into the kitchen where there is a large florescent light in the ceiling. I stand directly under that and look straight ahead and I can see a clear distinction between white and blue.

How do you like it compared to a swing arm? :wink:

Its pretty cool, I put it right under a bright light and I can easily see the blue now. Surprisingly my slainity in both tanks is very good. The nano was a perfect 1.025, the 125 is about 1.023 but I added a lot of top off to raise the water lvl in the fuge. Its more accurate then the swing arm, but the swing arm wasn't to bad after all.

I also have a swing arm, and a floating type. Both are fairly accurate but neither is tempature compensated like the refractometer is. I don't know how much temp plays into the measure of things but I wanted to be as accurate as possible.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom