Refractometer submerged...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erichm20

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my 1 year old has an affinity for throwing objects into any body of water and sure enough I found my refractometer at the bottom of my sump today. I took it apart as best I could to allow it to dry so after a couple of hours I tried it out and it is totally dark I can barely see the figures. I've read before the prism cannot get wet but I'm wondering if anyone has had this happen or if you know any tricks?? Needless to say there are new baby clips on the cabinet doors lol

I would remove the battery if there is one and dip it in RO/DI fresh water to rinse it. Shake it while in fresh water to soak and remove salt. Let it dry for 24 hours before inserting back the battery. It's not a 100% guarantee but it might just work.

Funny thing I held onto this and just tried it the other day an it still works! Just there is a lot of junk or debris on the lens but still just as accurate as it has ever been. I guess the rinsing in rodi did the trick I just had to wait a little while.

Funny thing I held onto this and just tried it the other day an it still works! Just there is a lot of junk or debris on the lens but still just as accurate as it has ever been. I guess the rinsing in rodi did the trick I just had to wait a little while.

You need to calibrate before you trust it

Yea i def calibrated it and the tank water is 1.026 and rodi is precisely on the null line. Before I did it said 1.05 or something crazy like that.

Back
Top Bottom