Refractometer vs hydrometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently ordered a refractometer from Tim Crowley on ebay (moneyreapertc is his ebay user name) for $45 including shipping and ins. It arrived today. Seems to be a good one so if anyone is interested in buying one of these, you might contact this guy.
Anyway, after calibrating it, I compared the readings of my two hydrometers with the refractometer.
Coral tanks #1 and #2
Deep 6: 1.0255
Seatest: 1.026
Refrac: 1.027

20g reef
Deep 6: 1.025
Seatest: 1.0255
Refrac: 1.0265

5 gal bucket of SW that has been sitting in the corner for about a week.
Deep 6: 1.028
Seatest: 1.029
Refrac: 1.030

I was surprised at how close the readings were. I have seen the Seatest and the Deep 6 vary as much as .002 SG. I also have another Seatest laying about somewhere that always reads about .001 lower than the other Seatest. I guess this is, although not very scientific, evidence that the swing type hydrometers are close enough for our purposes. I think the refrac was worth the money though...I like the precision that it offers. Perhaps the best thing to do is get your hydrometer checked against either a refractometer, salinity meter, or water with a known salt content. Then you have a correction factor if needed.

When I got my refrac I also checked it against my Deepsix. The Deepsix was only .001 SG's off from the refrac. I guess for $10, that is pretty good accuracy for a swing arm.

I love my refrac as well. So easy to use.

i was actually thinking last night why someone doesnt make an intank hydrometer that you can just look at and see your salinity instead of always dunking something in the water.

Back
Top Bottom