refratometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swjunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an instant ocean hydrometer and it was given me off the wall readings so I went and bought a deep six hyd. both gave me completely different readings. So I went and ordered a refractometer from foster and smith. It will be here friday cant wait! are they fairly easy to read?

I just got mine from them, does it really need to be calibrated at 68 degrees?

I don't remember how I did mine. I think you can calibrate it by dropping the water and waiting for about 30 seconds, till it warms up a little bit....

I just got it in today. I love it. I will pack away my hydrometers for backup. I would definitely recommend a refractometer to everyone. Save your time and money and get one. My hydrometers were reading (on a good day) 1.023 so I thought I was right there. lately they have been reading way too high 1.028 or way too low 1.017. With the refractometer it is 1.021. Now can anyone recommend a easy to read test kit. On the one I got I can read everything well except the nitrate. the shades are too close.
TIA

I like Aquairium Pharmaceuticals NO3 kit. Only two droppers to worry about, no dosing spoons (i.e. Tetra) and easy enough (at least for me) to tell the colors apart.

I just got mine from them, does it really need to be calibrated at 68 degrees?

Sorry to reply to this twice, but this is what it says on the website about auto correction:
Temperature Correction: Automatic from 50-86°F (10-30°C)

So, I guess as long as the water temp is within that range, you should be good and can calibrate/read/test it between those temps....

That is the same one I have now. Do you hold the tube next to the card?

I just hold it next to the card. I have heard of others looking at the bottom or standing it on the card.

Back
Top Bottom