Refrigerums and wet/dry filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been reading about wet/dry filters and refrigerums, and i dont see how they work together, and how the refrigerum sets ups, and works. I was wondering what all you could put in a refrigerum. Thanks.

check out the "articles" section at the top of the page. Good ones on both sumps and fuges.

I was wondering what all you could put in a refrigerum

I put beer in mine. :D

Sorry, buddy...couldn't resist. Check your spelling so you don't develop a bad habit. I know, because I've kicked a few bad habits myself in my day!!

r-e-f-u-g-i-u-m

The bio balls will lead to high nitrates as buildup occurs. Most recommend using LR rubble instead. Just be sure to keep LR rubble submerged to be effective.

what do you mean "LR rubble"?

isn't that bio ball allow good bacteria to build up?

Small pieces of live rock is called rubble. The bioballs are bade to have maximum surface area to increase biological filtration. The problem is these grooves also collect detritus etc. LR rubble also has good surface area but will not collect the same buildup. The porousness of the rock will help in the biological filtration.

The porousness of the rock will help in the biological filtration.

Especially because it provides small hypoxic "nooks and crannies" which allow the development of colonies of bacteria to process and thereby reduce the nitrate level in the system.

Back
Top Bottom