Refuge not producing results anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
For about three months my HOB refuge was working great. I had great growth with my macros (caluepra and chaeto) and my nitrates always remained at either zero or at the most 5. Anyway, I went to check my water, which I normally dont do because it was stable, and my nitrates were around 30 and the macro stopped growing. Well I looked at my refuge and saw that the entire top of water level was just cyano. My first assumption was that since their was so much cyano at the top of the water that no light could get in for macro. Anyway, I removed the cyano and trimmed up the macro. Do you guys think that was the reason for the non productivity or is it something else (I have been slacking on pwc's). Any other suggestions? TIA........

It could be a combination, is my guess. Cyano grows easily in fuges because of the higher nutrients and low flow. Keep it cleaned out and it should pick back up. Keep up on your water changes too, it always helps, although I know it's not always as easy as it sounds, I'm guilty of the same thing.

I agree....keep the PWCs going...I have gone as far as marked on my calander the dates of each PWC (I do them every other week about 25g). I've stuck to this schedule unless something dictates a sooner or additional PWC. Habbit Habbit Habbit....get yourself set on doing them regularly and you will see a happier and healthier tank!!!

Ziggy953 said:
I agree....keep the PWCs going...I have gone as far as marked on my calander the dates of each PWC (I do them every other week about 25g). I've stuck to this schedule unless something dictates a sooner or additional PWC. Habbit Habbit Habbit....get yourself set on doing them regularly and you will see a happier and healthier tank!!!

I could not have said it any better.

Back
Top Bottom