refuge plumbing gurgles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey guys!!

My tank is full andi'm just waiting for the "white out" to settle. meanwhile i'm running all my pumps through the refuge into the sump and back to the tank. my refuge plumbing is sucking in air and making a loud gurgle noise. anyway to stop the air sucking? i had a strainer on the end but that made it worse. here is my set-up.

thanks guys

mark

You may be able to add a stockman modification to ir, but I doubt it, with it plumbed that high. You might try running an airline tube down the pipe and see if it can quiet it down.

wow that water is high huh:) id try a 90 elbow facing up which will make the water even higher but will allow the water to fall into the drain and let air out easier !!

You could ball-valve it and crank it back just a notch or two and get the level up just enough to clear that pipe. I balled off my fuge and it stopped sucking air.

the rouble with the ball valve is if any grunge builds up in the valve you'll have to constantly adjust to keep just the right amount of flow, and if the valve catches a clog you'll end up with a very wet floor.

my thought would be this... take the 90 elbow thats on there, and replace it with a T and cap the top of the T drilling an 1/8th hole in the cap. Then put that 90 on the inlet side of the pipe with the opening down... should solve all your problems.

Back
Top Bottom