refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smonkey15

Aquarium Advice Freak
my tank is 90 gallons and i will be setting up a refugium in my sump of about 9 gallons(largest i can). my question is that if i put a dsb in it and some absorbing macroalgae, will it successfully eliminate my nitrates for the entire tank? or how large does the refugium have to be in relation to the tank to allow for efficient nitrate control? thanks
steve

i was told that every little bit helps. I would put in as much as you can.

Thanks Dewey

will it successfully eliminate my nitrates for the entire tank?

Doubtful, but it will help and the fuge should not be the only source of denitrification. You'll also have LR for denitrification.

or how large does the refugium have to be in relation to the tank to allow for efficient nitrate control?

It is recommended that your fuge be a minimum of 10% of your tank volume, yours is on the low side...but I agree something is better than nothing.

what are you using for the fuge? you can use a bunch of diferent things that arn't expensive at all.

well i'll take all the advice i can get. i had planned on a dsb, some macroalgae like caulerpa (although i might steer clear of this probably to some other type of macroalgae with no risk of crashing), and keeping pods and such for some extra snacks for my fish. please let me know fi you have cheap refugium ideas. thanks
steve

Back
Top Bottom