Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerBarbs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think i want a refugium when i convert to a fowlr in a few weeks. I have a 29 gallon tank. Im not plannin on a protein skimmer right away. I dont really know anything about fuges though. I think a hang on/hang in would be the easiest though. I have a 5.5 gal if needed.

You could do a gang in. I would recommend getting chaeto. Also, a dsb would help too. I have 2 100 w lights from home depot for mine. Works very very well . GL!!!!!

DSB = deep sand bed

It's one way to create an anoxic zone in you tank for bacteria to convert nitrates into nitrogen.

Fuges can generally be internal (hang in), hang on, in sump, or a separate connected tank. They all do the same thing - give you a place to raise more delicate flora and fauna for filtration and food.

Are internal fuges just boxes with plants an algae or is it more complicated than that?

They aren't too much more complicated than that. Most of the time they have some kind of pump or powerhead to move water through them. The idea is that the main tank inhabitants can't get to whatever lives in it: normally pods and / or macro algae. Many times folks will also have a deep sand bed in the fuge as well to help with nitrates.

TigerBarbs said:
If i had a fuge with chaeto would that eliminate the need for a protein skimmer?

In my opinion, a fuge and a skimmer really do different things. A fuge with cheato will certainly absorb some nitrates. A skimmer removes dissolved organics (in theory) before they break down. In a 29, unless you are very heavily stocked, you shouldn't NEED a skimmer at all. Water changes are the best way to manage nitrates and replenish trace elements in my opinion.

I agree, but skimmers and fuges are VERY helpful. They clear water up, but with enough water changes, the tank will be clear. Heres a great link.

Back
Top Bottom