Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mpolizzano

Aquarium Advice Regular
Want to start a refugium. What do I need? Chaetomorpha and a light? Sand? Rock? I've been looking at the JBJ 25 watt macro glo light fixture. Any thoughts? Opinions? Thanks.

Want to start a refugium. What do I need? Chaetomorpha and a light? Sand? Rock? I've been looking at the JBJ 25 watt macro glo light fixture. Any thoughts? Opinions? Thanks.

I think everyone does it a bit different, but I have about 3" of sand with some Live Rock rubble and a big chunk of cheato in there. 15W max plant bulb in a standard run of the mill fixture. I run reverse photo.

I've heard of some people running a bare bottom with just the live rock rubble because they don't want the sand to become stagnent and trap pockets of bad stuff in there. I have a nano koralia in there to prevent this from happening and haven't had any problems.

I think I can do the piece of liverock or some rubble and the chaeto. Then the JBJ macro glo fixture above it. Sound ok?

I personally like caulerpa alot more. I cant keep chaeto alive lol. Caulerpa requires less light and can be fed to tangs.

Looked into that. I can't have tangs in a 65 gallon. Will keep it in mind though. I've heard as long as you have sufficient flow and lighting chaeto should be fine. Why couldn't you keep yours alive?

Well, the first time it got sucked out of my fuge. The 2nd time I had an outbreak of cyano and it literally GREW over it. Never had trouble with caulerpa.

I see. Bad experiences. I'm going to start with a size of a tennis ball. Go from there. Worse case scenario, it doesn't work out. I'll try something else.

Just keep in mind that calurpa needs to be trimmed (old end) as it grows or it could release toxins back into the system.

Mpolizzano said:
I think I can do the piece of liverock or some rubble and the chaeto. Then the JBJ macro glo fixture above it. Sound ok?

And yes that light fixture should he just fine.

If you have the room I would put a 6” sandbed and chaeto, nothing more. Throwing a few pieces of lr rubble will do next to nothing and actually takes away from the benefits of the deep sand bed.

Ok so and sand bed is ok? The area is 5L x 24W x 5D. Kinda weird. I know. But it's what I have to work with.

I turned a pro clear aquatic dump kit into a refugium because of issue with stand size, but I uses refugium mud and after reading idk if that was a good idea. The other issue is getting the protein skimmer cup out to dump it. It is pain because of height issues.

Attachments

• image-2892852720.jpg
    image-2892852720.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 88
My protein skimmer would be a HOB skimmer so I wouldnt be worried about that. The section I am talking about would be strictly for the chaeto and light. But I could add sand or rock. Just trying to get suggestions. Thanks.

I have seen some people with them set up that way, but I have not had experience doing that.

i'm not a big fan of the deep sand beds.

I just dont like the fact that if i disturb the sand for any reason......I may have some problems with releasing toxic gas into my system.

I think DSB's are more trouble then they're worth.

Right. So if I just throw the chaeto in the section with the JBJ light that's good?

Back
Top Bottom