Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you need to use a PH to tumble chaeto or will the flow of the sump usually be enough? I am considering getting a nano koralia

Nano Koralias are not worth your time. They hardly put out anything. What size return pump are you using?

This looks like your pump-
Poseidon PS3 External Pump
Is it a 3/4" in-out or a 1"? If it's a 1", it's the PS4, if 3/4" it's the PS3.
Neither one of these pumps are extremely powerful. The 4 is just over 1000gph, and the 3 is just over 700. You may need some extra flow.

If it was me, I'd want a bigger return pump. All the flow you really need in the sump is enough to feed your components. What is the GPH of your skimmer pump? What other reactors are in the sump? If your skimmer pump is 500gph, and your return is 720, it should be enough. You may or may not need to add a power head to the refugium area.

I have it dialed back with a ball valve as well. It may have something to do with the current sump design. The new design will foster more flow and then I can reevaluate. I pick it up today.

But, if I was to upgrade the pump what would you recommend?

You want to keep it external? Probably something above 1000 gph. Maybe 1200 or so. Did you want to keep your 3/4" plumbing, or could you go to 1"?

I do want to keep it external for the heat factor. I can easily go to 1" for the pump fittings but the PVC is 3/4"

So, you are going to need a 3/4" in-out pump. The only thing I'm coming up with is a Mag 12. They can be used externally. Anything else has 1" in-out.

But it will be fed by 3/4" plumbing, correct? I would not restrict the intake of a pump. that's bad for it. the output is fine, though you will be losing gph this way.

If it was me, I'd want a bigger return pump. All the flow you really need in the sump is enough to feed your components. What is the GPH of your skimmer pump? What other reactors are in the sump? If your skimmer pump is 500gph, and your return is 720, it should be enough. You may or may not need to add a power head to the refugium area.

Flow in the display or flow in the sump? Is there some benefit to having less flow in the sump to allow for more "water processing" time?

I'd always go overboard on the pump and dial it back with a ball valve

But it will be fed by 3/4" plumbing, correct? I would not restrict the intake of a pump. that's bad for it. the output is fine, though you will be losing gph this way.

Are you thinking mag18? Or QuietOne 5000?

How do you calculate how much flow and pump size?

Here we go. All setup and running smoother than ever!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390244477.652202.jpg

The flow is great and I still have to dial back my return pump - after the output - or the tank will overflow.

Back
Top Bottom