Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-27-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi all. Have been really considering the CPR Aqua-Refugium. It has a built in protein skimmer. The concept makes sense to naturally remove nitrates. In other setups, not counting water changes how are nitrate levels kept low ??

batfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 10:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
They make a nitrate reducing media, not sure how well it works though.

Woo Hoo, PAYDAY! Time to pay the LFS rent (even before I pay mine )

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 09:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
The best way to keep Nitrates low is to keep biological filtration at a minimum. A good size skimmer along with live sand and live rock will remove organics before they have the chance to be broken down into Nitrites... Nitrates. Water changes compliment this when needed, but are more importantly used to replace trace elements & buffering compounds.

I have never used a refugium. However, I have personally talked with a number of hobbyists who liked the results.
"Looking in windows, knocking on doors, they need to take seven and they might take yours."
MarkLehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 11:09 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I would say the primary nitrate control mechanism used in SW systems today is the DSB. Granted, they aren't perfect and do have potential for problems, I think it is the most effective nitrate control available at this point. You will get some nitrate reduction in the inner areas of your LR as well. Natural nitrate reduction takes place anywhere in the tank that is anoxic or has an extremely low oxygen content.
Another less popular option is the coil denitrator. This is basically a length of icemaker tubing (like 50 feet) that water is pumped through very slowly. Aerobic bacteria will grow in the first few feet of the tubing and use up all the oxygen in the water. The anaerobic bacteria will grow in the remaining length of tubing and consume the nitrates. The water coming out the other end is nitrate free. This is a very slow process though with the flow being measured in drops per minute.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com