Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

he is in the main tank. what is chaeto algae? and how do i get pods in my fuge.
lol dumb question huh!
Thanks michael

Old 05-03-2005, 11:28 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I would make the fuge about 4 inches of oolite my self. I have built a few and have been the most pleased with a sugar fine consistancy. I wouldn't put a sand sifting star in a fuge at all, it defies the purpose of cultivating zooplankton as the star sifts the sand for the micro organisms you are providing "refuge" to. LIke Kat said, go for about 1.5 - 2 lbs of liverock per gallon for the whole system volume, put what you dont' use for aquascaping in the main in your fuge. Next you'll need some macro and a detritivore kit. Aside from those two things put nothing else living in the fuge. If you do those things and have a skimmer, the rest will take care of itself. I also suggest at least 3 - 5 watts/gal in your fuge that run opposite your main tank lights. There are some really affordable PC fixtures that should get you there. Another nice boon for fuges is to collect a cup of sand from anyone else you know that has a reef tank or a fuge and add that to yours.

Cheto is a type of macro algae that is becoming more and more popular for refugiums. As far as pods go you can buy a detritivore kit from many places, but the best of the best is sold by a dude named Bob on ebay. He doesn't have any up for sale ATM, but i'll send him an e-mail and PM you a link as soon as he gets one up. The kit will have everything you need for a fuge, the pods, the macro, etc. Its about $110.00 shipped. After a cycle his kit is the first thing I add to a tank. I don't even feed my tank, I let the fuge do it for me. I give my tang some formula 2 and garlic soak algae and aside from that everything else eats what the fuge provides.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

No CC.... a hang on back fuge is not that big so 1" of sand would be fine.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 08:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for all the great info. briso thank you for the link to that guy named bob. that would be very helpful. as for a detritivore kit. what is that and where else could i buy one at?
also where can i buy some cheto?
this refugium is a hang on back style. i was going to use the light i have on my main (4X96 watt orbit PC).i was just going to move it back just a hair so it would light the ref. also.
does that sound ok or would you suggest something different.
i just bought my ref. today at drfostersmith.com. it will be here in 7 business days. also i bought marine bio sediment. for the bottom. i hope thats not what brisco was talking about. the detritivore kit (meaning the sand).
i also bought a skimmer too. please tell me if this skimmer is ok
red sea prizm pro. rated for 100 gallons. is that ok?
thanks for all the help guys and girls
michael
Old 05-05-2005, 04:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

is a refugium better filter than a wet dry?
Old 05-07-2005, 06:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Cheto is a type of macro algae that is becoming more and more popular for refugiums. As far as pods go you can buy a detritivore kit from many places, . He . The kit will have everything you need for a fuge, the pods, the macro, etc. After a cycle his kit is the first thing I add to a tank. I don't even feed my tank, I let the fuge do it for me. I give my tang some formula 2 and garlic soak algae and aside from that everything else eats what the fuge provides.
now let me see is i got this right. i can buy some kit to put in to my refuge. that will supply a food for my tank? i am a little confused

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com