Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megos1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello Again Fellow Reefers...

The tank is doing amazing, water quality is perfect, bla bla bla, and I was wondering if setting up a refugium would be worth-while. My friends have one on their 110 gal. but is it worth it on my little 20 gal?

Also, I know (for the most part) their purpose, but what really are the benefits of having one on a reef tank? And are they expensive?

Agree. Very nice. Now an article for a DIY would be sweet. ;)

USA Refugium has them for as little as $25.00 Of course you could buy all the materials and make it slightly cheaper. If all your levels are perfect and you don't have any fish that would benefit from pods then it's probably not needed.

Also, they have HOB refugiums for 20gallon tanks such as yours, if you were interested I will post a link as soon as I could find it.

Excellent! Thank you guys so much for all your help ... and those sites are awesome!

You can use a large powerfilter as a refugium as well. I used an old whisper unit on my 10 gal when it was running. Bigger the better though when it comes to filtration.

roka64 said:

I actually followed those intructions and built one out of a 50 gallon about a year ago. I've been very happy with the results.

I skipped the live rock chamber since my skimmer was large. Instead, I just packed my skimmer chamber full of rocks (not pictured).

Attachments

• sump1_205.jpg
    sump1_205.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 171
Back
Top Bottom