refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishtender

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am trying to cut back on the artificial filtration and increase my natural. At the present I run a double and a single backfilter with carbon inserts and a skimmer, along with a DSB, and about 40lbs of LR in my 55g. I have turned off the backfilters and will monitor my water quality over the next few week to see if this is posible. I have 2 PH and the skimmer for water movement. I seem to have a nice flow in the tank.

My question is, if this work to where I only run my backfilter periodically, do you think it feesable to use the double sided backfilter for a refugium? I have sent for some macro algaes to help combat an algae problem I have had for quite some time. Could the macro algae act as a filter medium or am I Just not seeing the obviuos on why it won't work?

All input is welcome please.

Howard

I think for the space available for the fuge....the flow through the filter would be entirely too fast for any efficiency.

Some say that the flow through a refugium should equal the volume of the refugium per hour. For example if the fuge is 10g, it should have 10 gph flow through it. I think that is a little slow, but the flow is not supposed to be great through a fuge.

Back
Top Bottom