Refugium as a Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhuth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am currently in the process of setting up a hang-on-back refugium to serve as a natural filter for my tank. My fuge will include a sandbed, chaeto, and live rock. I also have adequate water flow. My concern is that I do not have enough room for keeping my filter and the refugium at the same time to start off. Will my tank be alright in the transition to the refugium as the sole filter for the tank? I also have a protein skimmer.

Thanks!
Rob

If you have the skimmer and refugium running together, then you don't need a filter. My first 30 gal tank had a refugium/skimmer combo and it worked very well in getting my nitrates down to almost 0. Personally I would skip the sand bed in the 'fuge and just have the rocks and chaeto.

That's great to hear, I am most concerned with the transition phase, whoever. Will I be putting my tank at risk to switch over to the refugium without an introduction phase? I only have room for either my filter/skimmer or my refugium and skimmer, I cannot run all three.

Back
Top Bottom