refugium lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phantomsk8er5

Aquarium Advice Regular
If i leave my light on in my refugium 24/7, will i have as much pods reproducing then if I have it on just 12 hours a day?

IMO, yes. Pods are usually active at night, but in a dark free fuge with no predators, they will become active during the day.

I like a reverse lighting situation. I think things need a break, but that is just me, some run fine with a 24/7 setup.

I think running lighting 24/7 keeps some macro algae's from going sexual right?

whats the best lighting to run a fuge? how much light is required for macro algae growth?

The yellower the light the better for macro growth. I use a cheap double strip shop light. Others I know use a 6500 MH or better yet, something lower. LOA (Lights of america) makes a fixture you can buy at walmart for $20!!
I think pruning helps things from going asexual more than anything. If you get spagetti macro you wont have to worry as much about going asexual. Grape has more of a tendancy to go asexual although I have never experienced this. I have 3 types of macro (grape, spagetti, and feather) as I think each one takes out something else

mrrrkva said:
The yellower the light the better for macro growth. I use a cheap double strip shop light. Others I know use a 6500 MH or better yet, something lower. LOA (Lights of america) makes a fixture you can buy at walmart for $20!!

I've read in other posts about these LOA lights. What models are they and why are they used over the "usual" aquarium lighting. Do they throw the right light?

TIA

Back
Top Bottom