Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2005, 05:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

refugium lights

What kind of lighting is needed for my refugium? Is a regular 17w aquarium florescent alright? If not what should I use?

Also, will algae grow in the refug that is not wanted? Such as on the glass. If so, should I, or can I keep a snail or 2 in there to help?

-60 lbs (3") of sand.
-2x65w power compact lights
-2x18w power compact in the refug.
-bak pak 2R
-3 LARGE feather dusters all differebt colors
-orange spotted goby
-fire fish
-12 or so hermits
-50-60 nassairus snails
-about 12 turno snails
-emrald crab
supermarvin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to makana
Re: refugium lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermarvin76
What kind of lighting is needed for my refugium? Is a regular 17w aquarium florescent alright? If not what should I use?
this light will be fine depending on plkanned refugium size. one of my refugia has a 50/50 normal output flouro and the other has a daylight (10000k) PC. i believe any decent amount of light will suffice. it depends on what algae you plan to keep. i have chaetomorpha which is very undemanding.

Quote:
Also, will algae grow in the refug that is not wanted? Such as on the glass. If so, should I, or can I keep a snail or 2 in there to help?
you will get "undesiable" algae groing in the refugium. IMO this is a good thing that should be encouraged, not discouraged by adding snails. the microalgae in the fuge will outcompete any that try to grow in the display tank.
i do keep about a dozen really tiny snails in the fuge to clean up a little but i dont want it scraoed clean as an astrea margarita or other snail might do.
occasionally i will admit to putting a snail from the main tank into the refugia for a weekend-long algae binge

------------------------------------------------------
29g berlin reef w/ 4.9 wpg and tons of current, 10g sump/fuge, and 12" CPR hang-on refugium
------------------------------------------------------

SUPPORT YOUR REEF - START A REFUGIUM
makana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com