Refugium? Maybe or maybe not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flamron

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was contemplating this today. Would it be possible to use a HOB filter as a refugium? I was looking at them on ebay and they are basically the same, the HOB I have wouldn't be much smaller. If it would work, what would I put in there? Thanks.

P.S. I have a lot of time on my hands right now, as I am just waiting for stuff to arrive. So, I get bored and thought this up. Don't flame me too bad if it won't work, I am new at this, so I just thought I would ask.

Can't flame someone for trying new things!

With some ingenuity it could be modified and set up to work as one. BUT, I don't think the effort would be worth the results. With the relatively small space I don't think you could put enough stuff into it to make a difference in water quality or pod production. IMO, many refugiums are too small already.

Just for thought, what HOB did you have in mind?

I have the millenium 3000. It is clear which I thought would be kinda neat. I looked at one on Ebay that is a CPR style 12" hang on and it almost looks the same, minus the bulkheads and the center part.

IMO the two chambers that you would have to create (with some sort of integrated baffles to change how the water enters the chambers to eliminate disturbance) would have no real space to feasibly have anything in it. Maybe you could float and light some macroalgae like Graciliaria sp. but again I don't think it would be worth the trouble.

ppl do it all the time on nano-reef.com. They use an Aquaclear 500 as a refugium.

Back
Top Bottom