Refugium mud or Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are putting any plants in it? If so the mud is great for mangroves if not sand can work to I had both in mine I preferred the sand cause it was easier to clean

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Neither, bare bottom. This way things are easier to clean up if necessary. If you have the lbs per gallon in your display, there is no need for additional sand in a refugium. By going the bare bottom route, this gives more room for macro algae to grow. More algae = more nutrient export.

Neither, bare bottom. This way things are easier to clean up if necessary. If you have the lbs per gallon in your display, there is no need for additional sand in a refugium. By going the bare bottom route, this gives more room for macro algae to grow. More algae = more nutrient export.

+1 I couldn't agree more.

What if you decide to use rooting plants instead of macro algae though

What if you decide to use rooting plants instead of macro algae though

Do you have an example?

All rooting macro algaes I've seen grow just fine floating around in a refugium. The roots are there for anchoring rather than nutrient uptake.

I put the miracle mud in my refuge and then put a inch or two of sand on top. You dont want just the mud in there as you willm have discolored water coming back up into the main. Saying that, If I had to do all over I would have skipped the mud. I dont see where it has accomplished anything.

No I've always just let mine float around I was just asking because mine gets clogged in my filter floss sometimes. I was going to get mud and do some rooted plants instead to prevent it from happening but then I seen this.

I also would skip the mud. Put some rock rubble in there. Any macroalgae with anchoring roots will attach to it.

Thanks everyone for the input.
My setup is going to be a 40 gallon breeder. Thinking about going bare bottom, or very little sand maybe an inch. Haven't decided yet. Lots of rock.

Any thought on going bare bottom?

Are putting any plants in it? If so the mud is great for mangroves if not sand can work to I had both in mine I preferred the sand cause it was easier to clean

No plants. Thanks for your input. Appreciate it.

I like the reflectivity of white sand. I don't like the looks of bare bottom tanks. Other than aesthetics, you may have a few less critters to choose from when it comes time to stock it, but that's about the only downside.

I agree although I was playing with the idea of a bare bottom in the display tank. What are your thought on that?

[QUOT E=mr_X;3095340]I like the reflectivity of white sand. I don't like the looks of bare bottom tanks. Other than aesthetics, you may have a few less critters to choose from when it comes time to stock it, but that's about the only downside.[/QUOTE]

Thanks MrX. I was just thinking it would be easier to clean than having sand in there. And your right about less critters to add.

The only problem with refugium mud is that you have to replenish about 10% every year (so I was told). I am looking to make this build as maintenance free as possible. I don't want to add anything that's not absolutely necessary for the health of the tank.

Refugium mud is nonsense. I saw a study done on it years ago, and the findings were that there was nothing in it that proved it came from the ocean. The jar I had had pieces of what appears to be red brick in it and shiny, man-made plastic things. IMO, it's from someone's back yard.
That said, I have never vacuumed a sand bed in any of my salt tanks, and never needed to either. If you have a detritus build up, you need to increase flow. If there's a lot of food laying on it. you are overfeeding. A 1" sand bed needs no maintenance.

I think a sandbed in the display is a good idea. It is a good filter too. Keeping the sump bare for a scrub if necessary is a good idea IMO. But still gives more room for more algae. Want rooting macros then toss it in on some rock.

Refugium mud is nonsense. I saw a study done on it years ago, and the findings were that there was nothing in it that proved it came from the ocean. The jar I had had pieces of what appears to be red brick in it and shiny, man-made plastic things. IMO, it's from someone's back yard.
That said, I have never vacuumed a sand bed in any of my salt tanks, and never needed to either. If you have a detritus build up, you need to increase flow. If there's a lot of food laying on it. you are overfeeding. A 1" sand bed needs no maintenance.

Thanks you for the information. I do have a buildup of detritus in my 29 gallon tank so I will increase the flow and I think I have my power heads up to high in the tank so I will move them down some.

The only reason I put the power heads up high is because I was getting a film settling on the surface of the water so I moved my power heads up to get rid of that. I have a hang on overflow box on that tank and in the instructions they claimed that it was suppose to skim the surface water but I haven't seen it do that yet.

I think a sandbed in the display is a good idea. It is a good filter too. Keeping the sump bare for a scrub if necessary is a good idea IMO. But still gives more room for more algae. Want rooting macros then toss it in on some rock.

I think I agree with you that it is a benefit to have the sand in there. I am planning on leaving the so bare bottom although I may put a few small pieces of rock in the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom