Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 181
Refugium questions

I'm converting my 29 gallon tank into a sump/fuge for my 75 gallon setup. I've just completed buidling a new acrylic drip tray as I've decided to stay with the bio balls (moving them over from my current wet/dry). My plan is to run the flow through the bio balls (left side) into a center area with the return pump. Water will also be pumped out of the center into a refugium on the right that will spill back into the center.

1. Do you see any problem using a small pump that runs through my UV filter out of the center area into the fuge? Or would it be better to use the outlet with ball valve part of my mag 9.5 return pump? I'd think that might be too strong but could go that way if running the UV in line to the fuge would be a problem...

2. I plan on sand, LR, and macro in the fuge. How deep and what type of sand should I use?

3. Am I correct in thinking that Chaetomorpha is the best option?

4. The fuge part is about 12" x 12" x 12". What type/how much lighting is necessary?

5. I should run the fuge lighting on an opposite cycle as the main tank, correct?

6. Will the Chaeto grow fast and is it good to clip it and feed it to my tang, flame angel on a clip? Should I grow an additional type of macroalgae for this purpose?

7. What is the simplest/best way to feed a pod population in a fuge?

Thanks. I'm sure I'll think of more...
__________________

__________________
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Piedmont, NC
Posts: 4,580
Quote:
1. Do you see any problem using a small pump that runs through my UV filter out of the center area into the fuge?
Not a problem. just remember that a UV will kill pods. So if you have fish that depend on them for there main diet you may need to do something different.
Quote:
2. I plan on sand, LR, and macro in the fuge. How deep and what type of sand should I use?
use aragonite sand and if you want the benefits of a DSB use a 4"-6" bed.
Quote:
3. Am I correct in thinking that Chaetomorpha is the best option?
It is the single safest one. I have around 6-7 varieties in mine but I also keep the light on 24/7 so nothing will go sexual.
Quote:
4. The fuge part is about 12" x 12" x 12". What type/how much lighting is necessary?
That is only around 7.5 gal of water minus sand etc you are looking at less than that. I would try to keep it around 25-40 GPH. Get a light that burns in the 6500k range for optimal growth. Lights across America make a cheap florescent flood that burns in that range.
Quote:
5. I should run the fuge lighting on an opposite cycle as the main tank, correct?
That helps keep the PH stable if your PH changes a lot. I run mine 24/7.
Quote:
6. Will the Chaeto grow fast and is it good to clip it and feed it to my tang, flame angel on a clip? Should I grow an additional type of macroalgae for this purpose?
It grows fast but the fish will not eat it.
Quote:
7. What is the simplest/best way to feed a pod population in a fuge?
I throw one or two sinking pellets in the fuge about every week for the snails. The pods will do fine with just the debris. Since you are having a sand bed plan on adding a few sand stirring snails.
__________________

__________________
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
post a pic when your done with the setup.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 181
Thanks Brian.

To follow up...

1. If I were to consider getting a mandarin, do you think I should go without the UV filter?

2. Which type(s) of macro would my yellow tang and flame angel eat that would also be low risk of causing any problems?

I'd consider running the light in the fuge 24/7 but I'm still working out a problem with keeping the temperature down. So with Summer around the corner, I don't think I want to do anything else to risk raising the temp in the main...

3. Last question (for now): I was going to make my partitions out of glass because of the bond I'd be able to get with silicone. But I'd prefer to work with acrylic sheets because I wanted to route baffles into the partion from the sump to the return area. Are baffles really that important? I'd hate to get a snail sucked up a return pump. Or is the poor reputation for siliconing acrylic to glass being overstated?

Thanks again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccmike
post a pic when your done with the setup.
Will do...
__________________
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Piedmont, NC
Posts: 4,580
Quote:
1. If I were to consider getting a mandarin, do you think I should go without the UV filter?
If you load the main with LR you will prob be OK, UV is up to you. Mine has been off for a month now but I will prob turn it on tonight. Cleans the water good.
Quote:
2. Which type(s) of macro would my yellow tang and flame angel eat that would also be low risk of causing any problems?
All the algaes that fish like go sexual to the best of my knowledge. I just added feather caulerpa to my fuge last month. The fish really like it.
Quote:
I'd consider running the light in the fuge 24/7 but I'm still working out a problem with keeping the temperature down.
Really should not be a issue. You will not need much light at all since the fuge area is small.
Quote:
3. Last question (for now): I was going to make my partitions out of glass because of the bond I'd be able to get with silicone. But I'd prefer to work with acrylic sheets because I wanted to route baffles into the partion from the sump to the return area. Are baffles really that important? I'd hate to get a snail sucked up a return pump. Or is the poor reputation for siliconing acrylic to glass being overstated?
Using acrylic in the fuge for baffles will be fine. They will not be holding pressure. The silicon will hold them in place fine as long as water is on both sides of the baffle.
__________________
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
Yes run your fuge lights 24/7 . You dont need no high power light. I just have a 96 watt CF. I keep grape calerpa in mine but as Brian said you have to run lights 24/7.
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 181
Thanks again guys...

The drip tray is complete. I should have this thing done by the end of the weekend and cured and up and running in about a week...
__________________

__________________
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Refugium Questions?? Utradeshow Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 04-05-2005 07:28 AM
Mangrove Refugium Questions?? beachbumin Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 02-24-2004 12:42 PM
Refugium/Sump questions... wvdeadhead Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 01-20-2004 02:54 PM
refugium questions ohio reefer Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 10-16-2003 03:22 PM
sump/refugium questions kribbz Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 01-29-2003 09:56 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.