Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Refugium questions

I'm converting my 29 gallon tank into a sump/fuge for my 75 gallon setup. I've just completed buidling a new acrylic drip tray as I've decided to stay with the bio balls (moving them over from my current wet/dry). My plan is to run the flow through the bio balls (left side) into a center area with the return pump. Water will also be pumped out of the center into a refugium on the right that will spill back into the center.

1. Do you see any problem using a small pump that runs through my UV filter out of the center area into the fuge? Or would it be better to use the outlet with ball valve part of my mag 9.5 return pump? I'd think that might be too strong but could go that way if running the UV in line to the fuge would be a problem...

2. I plan on sand, LR, and macro in the fuge. How deep and what type of sand should I use?

3. Am I correct in thinking that Chaetomorpha is the best option?

4. The fuge part is about 12" x 12" x 12". What type/how much lighting is necessary?

5. I should run the fuge lighting on an opposite cycle as the main tank, correct?

6. Will the Chaeto grow fast and is it good to clip it and feed it to my tang, flame angel on a clip? Should I grow an additional type of macroalgae for this purpose?

7. What is the simplest/best way to feed a pod population in a fuge?

Thanks. I'm sure I'll think of more...

Old 05-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
1. Do you see any problem using a small pump that runs through my UV filter out of the center area into the fuge?
Not a problem. just remember that a UV will kill pods. So if you have fish that depend on them for there main diet you may need to do something different.
Quote:
2. I plan on sand, LR, and macro in the fuge. How deep and what type of sand should I use?
use aragonite sand and if you want the benefits of a DSB use a 4"-6" bed.
Quote:
3. Am I correct in thinking that Chaetomorpha is the best option?
It is the single safest one. I have around 6-7 varieties in mine but I also keep the light on 24/7 so nothing will go sexual.
Quote:
4. The fuge part is about 12" x 12" x 12". What type/how much lighting is necessary?
That is only around 7.5 gal of water minus sand etc you are looking at less than that. I would try to keep it around 25-40 GPH. Get a light that burns in the 6500k range for optimal growth. Lights across America make a cheap florescent flood that burns in that range.
Quote:
5. I should run the fuge lighting on an opposite cycle as the main tank, correct?
That helps keep the PH stable if your PH changes a lot. I run mine 24/7.
Quote:
6. Will the Chaeto grow fast and is it good to clip it and feed it to my tang, flame angel on a clip? Should I grow an additional type of macroalgae for this purpose?
It grows fast but the fish will not eat it.
Quote:
7. What is the simplest/best way to feed a pod population in a fuge?
I throw one or two sinking pellets in the fuge about every week for the snails. The pods will do fine with just the debris. Since you are having a sand bed plan on adding a few sand stirring snails.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #3

post a pic when your done with the setup.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Brian.

To follow up...

1. If I were to consider getting a mandarin, do you think I should go without the UV filter?

2. Which type(s) of macro would my yellow tang and flame angel eat that would also be low risk of causing any problems?

I'd consider running the light in the fuge 24/7 but I'm still working out a problem with keeping the temperature down. So with Summer around the corner, I don't think I want to do anything else to risk raising the temp in the main...

3. Last question (for now): I was going to make my partitions out of glass because of the bond I'd be able to get with silicone. But I'd prefer to work with acrylic sheets because I wanted to route baffles into the partion from the sump to the return area. Are baffles really that important? I'd hate to get a snail sucked up a return pump. Or is the poor reputation for siliconing acrylic to glass being overstated?

Thanks again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccmike
post a pic when your done with the setup.
Will do...
Old 05-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
1. If I were to consider getting a mandarin, do you think I should go without the UV filter?
If you load the main with LR you will prob be OK, UV is up to you. Mine has been off for a month now but I will prob turn it on tonight. Cleans the water good.
Quote:
2. Which type(s) of macro would my yellow tang and flame angel eat that would also be low risk of causing any problems?
All the algaes that fish like go sexual to the best of my knowledge. I just added feather caulerpa to my fuge last month. The fish really like it.
Quote:
I'd consider running the light in the fuge 24/7 but I'm still working out a problem with keeping the temperature down.
Really should not be a issue. You will not need much light at all since the fuge area is small.
Quote:
3. Last question (for now): I was going to make my partitions out of glass because of the bond I'd be able to get with silicone. But I'd prefer to work with acrylic sheets because I wanted to route baffles into the partion from the sump to the return area. Are baffles really that important? I'd hate to get a snail sucked up a return pump. Or is the poor reputation for siliconing acrylic to glass being overstated?
Using acrylic in the fuge for baffles will be fine. They will not be holding pressure. The silicon will hold them in place fine as long as water is on both sides of the baffle.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Yes run your fuge lights 24/7 . You dont need no high power light. I just have a 96 watt CF. I keep grape calerpa in mine but as Brian said you have to run lights 24/7.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks again guys...

The drip tray is complete. I should have this thing done by the end of the weekend and cured and up and running in about a week...

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com