Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Refugium same size as tank?

I am new to the Saltwater world so this may be a dumb question. I was at petco the other day and found a brand new 12lb bucket of Fiji Refugium Starter mud for $5 (usually $80). I also had a $15 walmart gift card so I bought another 10 gallon tank. Can I use a tank the same size as the display tank for a refugium? I know that 10% is kind of the minimum and most people keep a refugium around 50% of the size of the display tank but can I do one that is the same size? I would guess with the 10 gallon tank I would have around 5 gallons or so of water do to the space needed for flow? Does this make sense?

Old 08-03-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think there is anything wrong with have the same size Fuge as your display. I have a 180 display, with a 90 gallon Fuge and another 125 gallons in live rock bins and such. Point is, I actually have more water in my filtration than I do in my display. Tank is thriving so it can't hurt. You could break it up a bit and use a section for live rock rubble and then a small Fuge with a return pump at the end... Just an idea.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok I was just worried about it being too big and possibly screwing up levels in my tank. I think I have it figured out how to do it and I will have help from my dads friend who has had a large setup with a refugium before. I may be starting this in a week or so lol.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Right on, post pics and let us know! We all get ideas from each other and you may end up helping some one in the future with their build bc of it. Good luck

Tags
refugium, size, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com