Refugium set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellisz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am ready to set up the fuge :)

I got my tank moved and all is well. I plan on placing a maxijet 1200 in my sump to pump water to the fuge and then when the fuge hits a certain water level, the water will drain back into the sump. What tubing size would be a snug fit in the maxi outlet nozzle? 1/2"? I can put a zip tie on it but I want it snug. The pump will pump up about 3ft so I think this will be enough flow for the fuge.

I ordered some crud from premium aquatics that will be here tomorrow. I plan on adding this to the sand that is in the fuge right now. The sand I have in the fuge now, I left out from the tank when I moved it. The fuge won't have a DSB at this point.

I have waited for the water to clear up a bit before tieing the fuge into the main system but can I just add the crud tomorrow or should I let that settle too? I only got 5lbs of crud and the sump is a 25 gal rubbermaid container with 15 gal of water.

I hope to get some cheato' algae and hopefully the crud will have some nice pods for me.

What do most people use for lighting? Do I really need a small PC fixture or can I uses something simpler?

Just trying to get it all done. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for the help.

I went and tested the fuge by plumbing an 802 PH and no leaks :)

Only thing I did not like was that the hole I cut for fuge drain is apparently a bit higher than what I anticipated. My water level in the fuge is higher than I thought it would be. Anyone know how reliable these rubbermaid roughneck containers are? It is a 25 gal that was on sale at Target this week. I have it filled to the upper line and based on the level drop in the fuge, I have about 22-23 gal in there. How are these things rated? I wonder if I should drill another hole about 2" lower?

Any thoughts?

Everything sounds good to me and I found a small pc on e bay for less than getting a non pc in town! As far as the cheato goes, let me know where you find it cause im looking too!

I was planning either to get some locally or maybe ebay. I know there was a guy on this board that sold macro stuff here and on ebay. I need to find the guy that was selling nassarius snails too :)

Any ideas on the rubbermaid containers? Anyone? If I don't find out anything, I think I will just go ahead and drill my hole lower. I don't want this thing to bust. 15 gal is about 20% of my tank so I think that would be plenty.

Mike

Sounds good. Im testing a new DSB threory on my fuge. Im working up a doc and i'll post my findings with it here.

Were you the person selling the snails in lots of 50? How much was it?

I checked my PM's and the AA guy was selling 3 types of caulpera. So it was not cheato'. I'll check ebay.

Back
Top Bottom