Refugium substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fireworks

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently installed a 15 gal fuge to my system. I used mineral mud as a substrate and covered it with 1/2 to 3/4" crushed coral as per the directions on the mud container.After two weeks, I'm seeing bubbles between the mud and the sand through the glass and tiny bubbles keep coming out of the sand everywhere. I placed a snail from the main in it to lick the glass and it climbed right out of the water and sat there most of the day. My question is, could the sand layer on top of the mud be almost choking the mud and turning it toxic? and if so would it be better to lose the sand or at least most of it to let the mud breathe so to speak? I have never had a snail completly leave the water before and it has me concerned. Sorry this got so long. Thanks Jamie.

I have heard that the Miracle Mud if more of a marketing gimmic than really being beneficial. Why are you using sand and mud. Is the sand just for appearance?? I am just getting my fuge up and running this week I will probably go with just sand and the Macro. And a Pile of Live rock rubble in my skimmer chamber. I am not really sure why the mud is beneficial?

I only have rubble and cheato in my fuge. We are talking maybe a little over 1 sq ft area. I don't really see the benefit of a sand bed that small. Plus, I would rather not have to worry about grit and sand getting into the return pump.

I figured if I added some life to my refugium the sand would be a nice soft spot for critters to cruise around on.

I have MM in my refugium. I have a couple inches of sand on top. You want to make sure it is covered good as the mud will dirty up the water if it gets exposed. Saying that If I had it to do all over I would not have used the miracle mud. I really dont see any benefit. JMO

Back
Top Bottom