refugium/sump advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiefstrum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 40g breeder with an Aquaclear 110HOB and a Remora skimmer with the maxi jet 1200 pump and prefilter box. I also run 2 Koralia 750 powerheads.

Long story short my water is nice and clean but I am constantly battling nitrates AND the prefilter box on the remora takes up a lot of room in the tank. So I'd like to put a sump/refugium in the cabinet with some chaeto or something to help keep nitrates in check. I could DIY but honestly I just don't have time to do it right so I'd like to buy something reasonably premade. I was thinking a 20g sump should fit in the cabinet and be enough to make a difference. I also will need to still use an overflow as my tank is not drilled. Not sure if it matters but my current stocking is:
  • 2 Ocellaris clowns
  • royal gramma
  • firefish
  • Bangaii cardinal
  • CB shrimp
  • 10 red leg hermits
  • some zoanthids and a pineapple coral
  • I plan to continue to add coral as well as a randalls goby/pistol shrimp pair
Does anyone have advice on a nice setup?

The easiest/cheapest route is making the refugium yourself. My 40g has a 20g long as a refugium. It took less than 3 hours to completely make it. You also need an overflow, but IMO you should buy that. Then you need a return pump.

Back
Top Bottom