Refugium/Sump questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvdeadhead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok. Since I'm reading into everything before I actually do a saltwater setup, I've read quite a bit about the benefits of a refugium and a sump. So far everyone has said ignore a trickle filter and just do a refugium. I'm definitely thinking about adding one. I have an old 30 gal freshwater tank. So my question is, can I partition my 30 gal tank into two parts, one that is a refugium, the other is a sump? Would it be advisable to have my overflow from the salt tank run into the refugium, then have an overflow from the refugium into the sump that cycles the water back into my salt tank. Does that make sense? Will I have problems with my sump running dry, or will there be enough water flow to keep everything running smooth?

Kudos for reading first, and welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :!:

lets see if I can tackle all of these...

first, A sump/fuge is a good way to go.. I'll be tackling this challenge myself as soon as I finish my new tank stand. You can partition the tank if you'd like, but, IMO, there's no need. the difference between a sump and a refugium, is a refugium has additional substrate/LR/MacroAlgaes etc, whereas a sump does not. You could use the entire 30 gal as a refugium, and still put in your skimmer/heater etc in there, it wont affect the refugium.

You won't have to worry about things running dry as long as you don't let it all evaporate ;o) (laugh as you will, my tank evaps about 1 gallon every 2-3 days this time of year) in your main tank you will have a HOB overflow that you either buy or make, as the water level rises in your main tank it will spill into the overflow and down into your sump/fuge which will them be pumped back up to your display tank, raising the level in your display tank, and again, overflowing into the sump/fuge.

As for the overflows... the tank I'm looking at has them built into the corners. As for the skimmer, how would that work inside the refugium? I've only seen a skimmer hooked up as a stand alone system. Now onto the return, is there any special way of transporting the water back to the salt tank, or any tips. I will be putting a check valve on the tubing so my salt tank won't drain in the case of a power outage.

As for the skimmer, how would that work inside the refugium?
sorry, bad choice of words on my part I suppose. There are some skimmers that are In-Sump skimmers that actually sit inside the sump. If you get an external one then you won't have any problems at all.

For returning the water back to the tank you'll just need a pump big enough to pump the volume of water you want to move per hour up high enough to reach the top of your tank. The higher it has to pump water the bigger the pump will have to be. (thats refered to as Head Height when you're shopping)

Also, I hear lots of folks caution on the use of check valves as a number of things can get stuck inside and cause them to hang open and leave you with a big mess. What most suggest to do is drill a small hole in your return plumbing just below the normal water line in your display thank. Then when the power goes out the water will only siphon down to this hole then it will suck in air and break the siphon. It is highly suggested you test how much water will get siphoned into your sump tank when this happens while your expecting it, then take that into account when deciding on your opporating level of your fuge.

Thanks, you've been a great help! I think I've got a pretty good idea on how a refugium works now. If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Check out this link for some good info on building all in one sump/fuge systems. I personally don't agree with a skimmer in the fuge because your going to skimm out a lot of benfical organics that way. IMO with a 30 gallon you could have an 8" overflow/skimmer/UV/etc area where the water is churning and bubbling, followed by 3 baffles 1 inch apart to catch the bubbles, followed by a 13" fuge area, then have another partion that leaves you about 5" for a return pump. Check out this link for some good info.
http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html
Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom