Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'm not sure about the reporduction of the pods you buy such as tiger pods...I wouldn't suggest putting a mandarin in a tank that is less then 1 year old and has 1.5 to 2 lbs of LR per gallon. Also having a fuge on the system is just about a must have. If you are lucky enough to get a mandarin to eat something other then live food then you may be ok. They are difficult fish to keep. It is much better to put them into a mature system with a lot of LR and a fuge supplying lots of pods. Those Tiger pods can get very expensive!

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Pat and Marc,

Tiger pods are only 1 type of copepod. Mandarins like variety. The Ocean Pods at least are 3 different varieties. I bought a detrivore kit from ISPF, Inland Aquatics and a buy in Philly who occasionly sells a kit on eBay. The eBay kit I got had the most variety of pods and was the best detrivore kit around.
I also had pods from my LR.

You need to build up the pod population to a sustainable level which is why it is recommened not to get a mandarin for 7 - 8 months. You can have a mandarin in a 75 or smaller tank IF you have a large refugium a large sump with a large pod pile etc.

I still would not attempt to keep one in tank smaller than a 75, though there are those that keep them in 55's and even 29's. I don't know how long the mandarin's have been surviving in those smaller tanks, so I won't comment.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
Well, Here it is. Decided to forgo the cheato and just go with this. Threw a little aragonite sand, a bunch of LR rubble (BTW, this was not REAL LR. It was dried out, so no unexpected guests), and two airstones on opposite sides. Added fresh SW and presto....mini fuge! I will add the DT's phyto tomorrow when the Ocean Pods arrive. I'll dump half the bottle in here, the other half in the back of my tank where I added another bunch of LR Rubble.

Between the Fluval packed w/ LR rubble, the back of my tank packed w/ LR rubble and my quasi-fuge to cultivate pods. I think I should be ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0617082118-00.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	13807   Click image for larger version

Name:	0617082119-00.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	13808  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0617082119-01.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	13809  
Old 06-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Give them a couple of months to produce a stable population before adding the mandarin. Please keep us posted on your progress. I am hoping you have a succesful outcome.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I hope it works out for you for sure!

I did something similar to this but I had it plumbed into my system. I put it above the tank so the pods would have a better chance of getting into the tank. I'll try and dig up the thread for it.

I found it. Way down the list in the DIY section. Pod Breeder

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pods, refugium, refugiums

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com