Refugiums VS. Turf algae scrubbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pat8you

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i've been following the recent thread on turf scrubbers with some interest. Has anyone dealt with both a fuge and a turf scrubber and care to share your experiences with the differences or advantages of one system over the other?

A turf scrubber consists of a shallow tank, tub, bucket, or framed box design with water constantly running over mesh screening where filamentous algaes can continuously grow, thus consuming nutrients away from your main display and hopefully keeping it nuisance algae-free.

As in anything and to be quite honest, all entities have their flaws in reproducing what Mother Nature provides so exquisitely. Everyday new technology seems to creep forward and the further advanced we become the more we, aquarium community as a whole, understand that simplicity in nature seems to work best. This is another design in using natural filtration methods much like a refugium, but perfection is in the eye of one's expectations.

Here is a link to the thread on turf scrubbers that started my curiosity. Do your research before you get to excited about them. Santamonica or what ever the name of the OP who started the thread seems to present a somewhat glorified opinion of the idea and does not present some of the possible downsides. I'm still trying to get all my facts strait on turf scrubbers but as of right now i'm going to go with they are probably not the best solution for a full reef. Although they may have good success in other aquarium applications like FO. again not sure on all this though, still trying to figure it all out.

I think regular PWCs with RO/DI will keep down your nuisance algaes....

Back
Top Bottom