Regal Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a question about a regal that I just bought. He is only about 1 inch long and is in my QT tank. First of all, how long do most people leave fish in the QT tank? I have read from 1-6 weeks…most however say 4. He shows no signs of any disease and has been in there for 5 days now. Also his companion is a velvet dottieback. They are in a 20 gallon long.
Secondly how fast do tangs grow? I feed them both every other night with mysis shrimp soaked in garlic extract…Plus I put a strip of seaweed in the tank on a clip as well and he will literally eat a 1 by 1 inch strip in less than 8 hours….hes eating great. Just want to know how long it will be before he gets to be a good size.
Lastly what else do people feed tangs to make sure they get the proper diet? I feed seaweed and mysis….what else?
Thanks

Also my main tank is a 125 so he will have plenty of room!!

Sound like your doing a great job!! (y) Just don't shorten the qt period. Its not worth it and besides, these fish are known to be ich magnets.
As far as growth rate, I'm not sure. I have had my Yellow Tang for 5 months. She was 3" when we got her, from my estimate (she never sits still for measurement) she has grown about an inch since. My Macalosus Angel has grown 2 inches since December.
PS. I have seen adult regals that have been 8-9 inches in length. They get quite large.

Also my main tank is a 125 so he will have plenty of room!!

(y)

Regals as juveniles will feed off the rocks. So algae is the main food at this age. As they get older they take food out of the water colum more frequently. So then you feed more meaty foods, as well as some herbivore preps. Always feed the algae, and keep the diet varied.

Do you consider algea = seaweed? Where do I get algea if not? I keep my tank very clean and have about 80 lbs of LR in a 125. He does like the mysis for sure for meaty foods!!

Do you consider algea = seaweed? Where do I get algea if not? I keep my tank very clean and have about 80 lbs of LR in a 125. He does like the mysis for sure for meaty foods!!

i feed my sailfin tang nori witch is a kind of seaweed at night but the best part is not only thje tang eats it the flame aangle as well good lucxk with your tang

Yea the dried seaweed works, its all algae anyways just more of a macro then micro.

Nice job on the QT! This is very important with any tang, especially the regal. they are very prone to ich. As for feeding...I think variety is the key. This is true for all of your fish. I try to feed something different every day. I do feed flake once a day, then rotate feeding nori, mysis, squid, and froozen algea most soaked in garlic. Good Luck!! Lando

I also have a Regal in my QT right now. On Saturday she will have been in there for 4 weeks. She is doing great! I feed her seaweed and also frozen VHP - she loves both! I have not tried soaking in garlic, but I have used Selcon. :fadein:

BlueDolphin said:
I also have a Regal in my QT right now. On Saturday she will have been in there for 4 weeks. She is doing great! I feed her seaweed and also frozen VHP - she loves both! I have not tried soaking in garlic, but I have used Selcon. :fadein:

Its so great to hear about people doing it right! :)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paracant.htm

There's a good article on the regal...
...In it it says that due to the fish being very sensitive it may be best not to put it in a QT, but I am by no means suggesting that

BTW...my LFS has one fish that looks good and it's a regal, which also happens to be my favorite fish...talk about having a hard time resisting temptation

ClamKnuckle said:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/paracant.htm

There's a good article on the regal...
...In it it says that due to the fish being very sensitive it may be best not to put it in a QT, but I am by no means suggesting that

BTW...my LFS has one fish that looks good and it's a regal, which also happens to be my favorite fish...talk about having a hard time resisting temptation

With all due respect to Mr Fenner, I would still qt. Especially a tang.

Ya, I would def Qt a Tang. I made that mistake once! Once!

PS. I QT ALL Now. It saves you alot of work and heartache in the long run.

Qt tank

Bluedolphin
How long are you going to do the QT method? You have had her in QT for 4 weeks you say?? What length of time are you going for?

Back
Top Bottom