Regal Tang question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had my Regal tang in QT with a tankmate (Velvet dottieback) I bought at the same time….By they way QT’ing them as I bought both of them 3 weeks ago….As of today, I have not seen any signs of ick. Both are eating well and getting along well. I have done water changes once per week and all levels are 0 and PH at 8.2. Temp at around 80-82. I noticed 2-3 dots of what I thought might be ick about 2-3 days on the regal when I first got him….but since then all is well and I think it may have just been debris. Plus I soak everything I feed them garlic.
So Im going to leave them both in there for another 2-4 weeks. If I don’t notice anything on either of them should I put them in the main tank after 4 weeks or 6 weeks? Im leaving for vacation for a week on July 21 and this will be about 4-5 weeks they have been in QT. Should I wait until I get back to put them in the main tank or before I leave? If I haven’t noticed anything in this 4-6 week timeframe, wouldn’t it be safe to assume neither one have ick?
Thanks

This is just my opinion, but If there are no signs of ich, I would put them in the main 1 week before you leave for vacation. That will give them about 5 weeks in qt, and will give you a week to observe them in the main tank. IMHO that is what I would do. :wink:

Agreed with revhtree, I definitely would not leave them in the QT while you're not around to monitor the levels.

Im just afraid that if I do put them in the main tank and one of them DO end up stressing with ick, after I leave there is no one to take care of them other than feed them or add top off water......I have added no copper to the QT tank so other than making sure they are no overfed, why would the levels have to be monitored that closely? Its a 20 long QT tank and have a biowheel and heater with LR in it. (was leaving the LR in until I had or needed to medicate). Its like its on little tank but no substrate...Im not arguing, just trying to convince myself to put them in the main tank before I leave. I really dont think either of them have ick but they are doing really well in the QT tank with no problems with levels....Please help me convince myself!! :mrgreen:

Im just afraid that if I do put them in the main tank and one of them DO end up stressing with ick, after I leave there is no one to take care of them other than feed them or add top off water......I have added no copper to the QT tank so other than making sure they are no overfed, why would the levels have to be monitored that closely? Its a 20 long QT tank and have a biowheel and heater with LR in it. (was leaving the LR in until I had or needed to medicate). Its like its on little tank but no substrate...Im not arguing, just trying to convince myself to put them in the main tank before I leave. I really dont think either of them have ick but they are doing really well in the QT tank with no problems with levels....Please help me convince myself!! :mrgreen:

When there time in qt is over, the quicker the better. As long as they have been in the qt ample time, and shown no signs of ich, or infection. If you thought you saw ich a few days ago, chances are if it is ich, it will come back soon. I think you dont need to worry about it that much right now. Alot of things can happen in the 3 1/2 weeks till your vacation. I say watch them, and if they show no signs release them 1 week before you leave. Whatever you do, I say go with your instinct though. I cant look at your fish and see how they are acting, and how they look. You can. Dont sweat it! In 2 weeks you'll feel better about it. :wink:

PS. You'll have more people give there opinion soon, and then you can make a decision based on that later on down the road. HTH! :wink:

Regal Tang

Well like I said I have had them in QT since 6-11 and a couple of days after I put the tang in there is when I saw 2-3 small dots on him. I ASSUMED it was the start of ick but may have and probably wasnt. Both the dottieback and tang are eating and acting perfectly normal and look great. The tang is a baby and is about 2 inches long. I wanted to buy one small and raise it. I think I do agree that I will leave them in there another week to week and a half and them transfer them to the main tank. Both are very playful and seem to be doing well. I do really see any reason to leave them in the QT other than just paranoia on my part!!
Thanks for the feedback and anyone else please chime in.
Also I really dont see how they could poss have ick as much as I am soaking their food with garlic...Im a beleiver in it!!

I feed them mysis shrimp soaked in garlic and also mixed crushed thawed peas from time to time. Also I hang seaweed sheets on a clip and soak it in garlic extract as well.....

Back
Top Bottom