Regal vs Yellow Tang...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm currently thinking about getting a second, larger aquarium, and putting a couple of the bigger fishes in it - tang, butterfly etc.

I'm currently deciding on a Regal (Hippo) or Yellow Tang - I would only want one Tang in it.

Can someone tell me how both of these fare as far as the following things go:-

1. Do they both require the same amount of space to swim/graze (or does one require more space than the other)?

2. Is it true the Regal is susceptible to whitespot etc. more than other marine fish?

3. Are they both relatively peaceful if only one is put in a tank as the last, or one of the last, fish?

4. Do they both grow to similar sizes, and will tank size depict their maximum size?

Thanks!! :D

1. Do they both require the same amount of space to swim/graze (or does one require more space than the other)?

Both require a minimum of 4 ft of tank length to swim in, the hippo however requires a larger tank than the yellow.

2. Is it true the Regal is susceptible to whitespot etc. more than other marine fish?

Yep, but so is the yellow, all tangs are susceptible to ick, more so than some other fish, but there are other fish that get it easier than tangs, at any rate a properly set up and used quarantine tank will solve any issues.

3. Are they both relatively peaceful if only one is put in a tank as the last, or one of the last, fish?

IMO, the hippo is much more peaceful than the yellow, yellows can be a little aggressive, if added l;ast to a tank with no other fish that share the same basic coloring and similar body shape, it shouldn't be an issue.

4. Do they both grow to similar sizes, and will tank size depict their maximum size?

Thanks!!

The yellow reaches a max length of about 8" excluding the tail, the hippo reaches a max length of about 12-14" excluding the tail ;)

Forgot to add the tank size may hinder growth some, but tangs will out grow their tanks, if maintained properly, if you starve them, it's not likely, but it's also not likely it will live very long. Tangs are grazers and need to nibble all day to stay healthy, btw, it is not unheard of for a properly maintained tang to live for 20-30 years.

Cool...

How do I know if he's outgrowing the tank then, apart from the obvious?

I love my Yellow, tons of personality. The Regals I have seen, seem to hide a lot. I'm sure thats not across the board, but my Yellow and others I have seen , most seem to be more visible and less afraid.

Would both a Regal and Yellow be ok in a 20gal QT for 2 - 4 weeks?

depends on their size, 2 small fish would be fine.
2 adults would be too crowded. You would go crazy trying to control ammonia, plus the fish would be very stressed.
Also, I would lean towards the 4 weeks. 2 is short for a proper qt period.
:wink:

I meant a Regal OR a Yellow going in the QT tank, one or the other :p

Hehe, ta :D

Should I put some brocolli in the QT (like I'm going to in my main tank when he goes in)?

PS. If I gave my Tang some brineshrimp etc. would he just not eat it?

He should eat it, but brine is horrible food, no nutritional value. If you can get it, try mysis shrimp. Much better food. Also may want to try nori (seaweed sheets), my Tang loves it. You can get it at oriental foods stores, or maybe your lfs.

I read you should keep Tangs to a totally green diet though?

my tang its the meaty bits I feed the tank, picks at seaweed sheets I feed ocassionaly and is CONSTANTLY grazing on the algae on the rocks and back of my tank. I think he has hollow fins :wink:

Hehe...I'm finding it hard choosing between the Regal and Yellow though - the Regal is more beautiful, but perhaps the yellow has more character and personality? A tough choice! :)

Back
Top Bottom