Relocate Sump - Garage or Basement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aravindk

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 33 gallon sump that sits under my 72 gallon display currently. I am planning to move the sump away from the living room so that I can expand the sump to include a fuge etc. I am planning to do a diy sump and transfer the contents of my existing sump to the new sump.

I have two options either to build the sump in the garage or in the basement. Garage is about 6-7 feet behind the display tank and the basement is 34 feet behind and 11 feet below. Neither room is temperature controlled. If I put it the garage, I have to spend a fortune
in heating/cooling bills since the temperature in the garage gets to extreme during peak summer/winter. Although my basement also lacks heating or cooling, I see the basement is always on the relatively moderate side. so I chose to build the sump in the basement and invest
in a higher capacity pump to take the water to the level above.

Did I make a wise decision? I know many people have built their sump/fuge in their garage or basement. Can you all share your thoughts on this? Is my decision wise or is there something that I didnt weigh in?

TIA.

I think the basement is better. My garage tends to have lots of chemicals in it, like gas/paint thinner/saw dust and such. Plus it gets really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter. I would think you can regulate your temp in the basement a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom