Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-13-2005, 02:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Remedies for Cauliflower Growth

Background: About 3-weeks ago I identified white specs on the pectoral and tail fins of my copperband butterfly so I put it into my QT. First, I thought it may be ich and tried using Mardel Coppersafe, Maracyn, and Maroxy. After 5-days of treatment the specs did not dissapear.

I removed the copper using a carbon filter and for the next few days lowered the salinity to 1.009 for a hypsalinity treatment. After 6-days of hyposalinity not only had the white specs not dissapeared but a white cotton/cauliflower patch had developed on the rear of its dorsal fin.

My LFS recommended using Formalin 3 and ich cure. I'm not familiar with Formalin 3 (similar to Malachite green?) and would like some information on proven remedies for the cauliflower fungus identified on the copperband butterfly.

NOTE: The copperband butterfly continues to regularly eat (mostly brine shrimp w/liquid vitamins); and does not appear sluggish (slight twitch noticed during med application).

90-gallon marine tank with a couple clowns and sailfin tang. Several invertes including 12 emerald green crabs, 20 hermit crabs, 3 peppermint shrimp, 6 turbo snails, and a BTA. Protein skimmer with 100-pounds live rock, Total 495 watts lighting w/2-MH, power compacts and lunars. Ammonia & Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 10, specific gravity: 1.025. Using Sea-Lab 28 and Kalkwaisser to maintain calcium at 400 ppm.
cusemarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
True fungus infections are extremely rare in SW fish. More commonly they are either <<bacterial>> or <<Lymphocystis>>. If the latter, medications are not your answer, time, improved living conditions and a heavily fortified vitamin diet are. There is no known med that will cure Lymphocystis.

As far as the antibiotics used, Maroxy is pretty much useless in SW as it treats gram possitive true fungal infections, as I said rare. Maracyn II will treat bacterial infections but it must be used for 7 full days at double the manufacturers recommneded dosage. Nitrofurazone or furanace is also a good choice although the dosage and treatment terms are different.

die, flow, growth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com