Remedies for Cauliflower Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cusemarine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Background: About 3-weeks ago I identified white specs on the pectoral and tail fins of my copperband butterfly so I put it into my QT. First, I thought it may be ich and tried using Mardel Coppersafe, Maracyn, and Maroxy. After 5-days of treatment the specs did not dissapear.

I removed the copper using a carbon filter and for the next few days lowered the salinity to 1.009 for a hypsalinity treatment. After 6-days of hyposalinity not only had the white specs not dissapeared but a white cotton/cauliflower patch had developed on the rear of its dorsal fin.

My LFS recommended using Formalin 3 and ich cure. I'm not familiar with Formalin 3 (similar to Malachite green?) and would like some information on proven remedies for the cauliflower fungus identified on the copperband butterfly.

NOTE: The copperband butterfly continues to regularly eat (mostly brine shrimp w/liquid vitamins); and does not appear sluggish (slight twitch noticed during med application).

True fungus infections are extremely rare in SW fish. More commonly they are either <<bacterial>> or <<Lymphocystis>>. If the latter, medications are not your answer, time, improved living conditions and a heavily fortified vitamin diet are. There is no known med that will cure Lymphocystis.

As far as the antibiotics used, Maroxy is pretty much useless in SW as it treats gram possitive true fungal infections, as I said rare. Maracyn II will treat bacterial infections but it must be used for 7 full days at double the manufacturers recommneded dosage. Nitrofurazone or furanace is also a good choice although the dosage and treatment terms are different.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom