Removal of Red / Marone Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

I make reference to this problem:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=30679

How does one remove this? Would you rate the golden headed gobies as a solution? Perhaps another fish or inhabitent?

The only thing I can think of other than the above is to manually shift the sand myself, but I'd rather introduce some perminant solution.

Ideas?

Fish will not consume cyano as a rule. The only animal that will readily consume this pest algae are Strombus sp. snails.

Depending on the age of your set up you may just be going through growing pains. In a more mature set up, PO4 issues are the highest contributor. These will be mainly introduced via water source and types of foods fed. Especially tap water and frozen meaty foods. Remove the PO4 and the cyano will crash.

Cheers
Steve

Are strombus snails the same as conchs? They seem to be mentioned in the same articles. I have been battling cyano myself and would like to get something to help me out. Mine is losing its color a bit, from red to a light brown. I had a slight PO4 level, .25-.5. I am currently siphoning and changing PH positions.

ellisz said:
Are strombus snails the same as conchs? They seem to be mentioned in the same articles.
Yes, Conch = Strombus

Mine is losing its color a bit, from red to a light brown.
That means your winning. As the cyano changes to a rusty brown it means it's dieing from lack of nutrient. You could easily wake up one day and it's completely disappeared which will often be the case.

Cheers
Steve

Are there any treatments to safely eliminate phosphates in reef aquariums?

I am going through the same problem right now and am useing Phosguard by Seachem. See how it works.

flanque said:
Are there any treatments to safely eliminate phosphates in reef aquariums?
Any non-aluminum based PO4 granular sponge will work very well. If only used sparingly and infrequently, aluminum based ones will get by. The main concern with aluminum based products is they tend to cause coral bleaching of which I have had first hand experience. No losses, just some very faded colors. Took my pink Kenya over a month to recover.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom