Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Remove coraline algae

Is it possible to remove coraline algae from an established FOWLR tank without removing livestock? Would keeping the lights off over a long period of time work, doesn't sound like it would...

Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

if its on the glass just scrape it off.. I don't see any reason on removing it unless its on the glass. where on the tank are u trying to remove it from?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereli
if its on the glass just scrape it off.. I don't see any reason on removing it unless its on the glass. where on the tank are u trying to remove it from?
Thanks for the reply, I would like to rid it from the entire system. So scraping it will just let it settle elsewhere. Not sure if I can remove it without taking the aquarium down...
Old 03-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Not sure if cutting the lights would do it... new to SW tanks myself. I just put some cured LR in my system with some coraline on it, so I am just curious as to why you want to remove it?
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, me too. Most people want it covering their stuff. It looks good. Did you perhaps mean a different kind of nuisance algae?

Or if it is your preference to remove it from your system, I reckon lowering calcium and alk levels would help. Or at least stop it from growing.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
Not sure if cutting the lights would do it... new to SW tanks myself. I just put some cured LR in my system with some coraline on it, so I am just curious as to why you want to remove it?
Mainly because I'm setting up a new reef tank and making my old one FOWLR and just want to make it a little more maintenance free and simply just like the clean look without it. I'm still going to promote the growth of coraline in my reef tank. May sound mad but I was just curious if anyone knew how it could be done. I also don't think cutting the lights would do it, from the lights in the room it would probably continue to grow.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
Yeah, me too. Most people want it covering their stuff. It looks good. Did you perhaps mean a different kind of nuisance algae?

Or if it is your preference to remove it from your system, I reckon lowering calcium and alk levels would help. Or at least stop it from growing.
Yea it's purple coraline, just want a clean look with less work... Lowering calc could be the a good way to stunt it but doesn't sound like a good way to eradicate it... Hmmmm
Old 03-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would scrape it clean then lower the calcium and alk. Are you using a reef mix or just a regular salt?

A brand specifically for reef aquariums will be higher in calcium.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll take some.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
I would scrape it clean then lower the calcium and alk. Are you using a reef mix or just a regular salt?

A brand specifically for reef aquariums will be higher in calcium.
Thanks!

Sounds like a plan, I use the instant ocean mix.

Tags
algae, coral, coraline

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com